Super Portfolio

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Daksar, 3rd Dec, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Daksar

Daksar Member

Hi,
    I intend to take my super as an income stream in about 3 years time.
    With that in mind I have in my portfolio as follows :-

Aberdeen Financials Fund 90k
    Advance Aust Geared Share 25k
    Aust Unity Property Income 30k
    Colonial FS Aust Share 55k
    Colonial FS Geared Share 45k
    Colonial FS Global Resources 130k
    GS JBW Emerging Leaders 15k
    Invesco Aust Small Companies 45k
    MLC Prop Sec 55k
    P'folio Partners High Growth Share 90k
    UBS Prop Sec 65k

Total 645k

Does this appear sound? Thanks :)

Daksar

2. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

Just to get you started, is there a reason why you have both CFS Geared & CFS Aust Share? Maybe you should consolidate them depending upon your risk profile

3. Daksar

Daksar Member

Hi,
    I bought into the geared funds 18 months ago as I felt more confident of the continuing strength of Aussie shares. I have held the more conservative CFS Aust Share for about 5 years.
    I've been trying for a mix that will give me income and growth in about a 50/50 ratio :)

Daksar

4. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Daksar,

Are you under age 55?

There may be tax benefits in starting an allocated pension now rather than waiting for persons 55 or over.

Cheers,

Dan

PS The above information is general information. Speak to your FPA registered Financial Planner, Accountant or Tax Adviser before making an investment decision.

5. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

Dan, it would be fantastic if you could give a brief overview of this for the benefit of the board if you've got time.

I thought it was on 55+ you could do the pension...

6. Daksar

Daksar Member

A young 57!
    Planning to take a tax free income stream at 60 if Kev lets me :)

Daksar

7. AsxBroker

Sorry Dave, I missed a comma. The sentence should have been...

"There may be tax benefits in starting an allocated pension now rather than waiting, for persons 55 or over"

Some of the benefits for starting at age 55 rather than waiting are a 15% tax rebate, (I know, not as good as tax free but not so bad, as theoretically one could earn at leat $33,000 tax free). Moving superannuation from a taxable environment to a 0% tax environment (this can save alot of money purely from the earnings and growth of the super fund).

There is also the possibility of salary sacrificing if there are additional funds left over which would reduce the tax rate from the Marginal Tax Rate to 15%.

That's three good reasons.

You can read a little more here When you retire - Australian Securities and Investments Commission

Cheers,

Dan

PS The above is general information and not advice. Speak to your FPA registered Financial Planner, Accountant or Tax Adviser before making an investment decision.

8. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

My comments in BOLD with the quote below.

9. AsxBroker

Hi MattR,

Nicely re-iterated.

I am deeply disturbed by doing a mailout to people in my local area between 55 and 65 who honestly don't care about this.

Apparently only 3% of eligible are actually using this.

It's amazing, I'm floored that not everyone that can do this, is doing this...It totally baffles and mystifies me.

Cheers,

Dan

PS This is general information. Speak to your FPA registered Financial Planner, Accountant or Tax Adviser before making an investment decision.

10. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

I think your fund mix is good.. but quite agressive for someone who is only 3 years away from retirement..

I would increase my exposure to fixed interest assets or bonds.. in case the market takes a dive between now and 3 years.. hence you can draw down on the fixed interest funds at retirement whilst allowing the more agressive funds time to recover..

Also you need to set yourself a goal, on how much you need to retire on.. if your already at that point, why take unnecessary risks so close to retirement! If things go bad, can you wait for the market to recover?

11. Daksar

Daksar Member

Hi,
    I don't have to take a pension in 3 years, I would just like to :)
    So there would be enough time for recovery if there was a downturn.
    I only work 18 hours a week now and my income is supplemented by Newstart and my wife has a Disability Pension. We manage fine on this as we have paid off our home, refurnished and decorated, added all the cost savers like a solar hot water system and wood fire and bought a new car with five year warranty.
    Taking an income stream now might save tax in the fund but would make us ineligible for the Centrelink benefits so probably is not a good move for us.
    I intended to put future income from the funds already held into the Aust Unity Property Income Trust as this seemed to be the least aggressive of my choices but could you suggest a couple of other 'safe' havens?
    Thanks for your replies,
    Daksar