Passing water costs onto tenants QLD

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Jacque, 20th May, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

I recently received some literature from my Brissy PM about new legislation coming into effect; basically if you fit your property with items such as dual flush toilets and watersaver devices in taps and showerheads you can pass on the full water costs to tenants. This doesn't include water supply costs but consumption only.
    Something to consider however- have any QLD landlords here taken it up and fitted out their IP's accordingly?

2. D&K

D&K Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque,
    Yep, got the flyer too; came with rates notices. We're investigating it for stand-alone houses. It's a bigger challenge for townhouses and units as you need agreement of all owners via the body corporate to separately meter each unit. Easier said than done when there's one meter feeding common water pipes running under concrete driveways. Up front costs could take many years to recoup!
    Dave

Last edited by a moderator: 20th May, 2008
  3. MissMuffitt

MissMuffitt New Member

I am currently talking to the lady who owns the duplex at the front of ours. We have to get the council to install another meter to the boundry. And then get the plumber to install from the meter to her unit at the front. We are going to go halves in the cost as we are both going ot be able to get out tenants to pay for the water usage after we have this done.
    Council fee about $620. Plumber?? probably about $500 at a guess.
    This is through Miriam vale council and the dulpexs are at Agnes Water.
    1 KL of water is $2.98 there.

4. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

We have a townhouse in Brisbane so maybe doesn't suit our situation?

In WA we pay the rates, tenants pay the water consumption (though you can set a % figure if you want to contribute i.e. to ensure they keep the gardens watered)

5. yo yo ma

yo yo ma Member