Navra fund and navra shares

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by camilla__, 10th Aug, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. camilla__

camilla__ Member

Hi, anyone know the performance of the fund..I recently changed from managed fund to ABN amro hybrid as advised by Navra invest...Dont know if it was a good thing? Also are people holding on to shares and think its worthwhile as they havent floated yet and still money invested is costing heaps without any return...any thoughts? i would appreciate. I am confused.:confused:

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You can find performance data for the fund here:

Welcome to NavraInvest Limited - Funds Management

and here:

Performance Chart: Navra Blue Chip Australian Share Retail Fund (NAV0001AU)

I haven't looked into the ABN Amro stuff - so I can't comment there.

The shares have been paying out 1.5c per share dividend per quarter (6c per year) ... so there has been some return there.

3. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

The Navra Au Retail Fund is looking pretty good compared to the All Ords this Financial year so far.

Navra down -1% approx
    All Ords down -5% approx

Hope we see some recovery in the next few months so figures turn positive again!

MJK

4. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

Actually I just checked the website and Navra is up 0.51% FYTD.
    Navra is probably enjoyong the volatility without the huge fall aways. Weve been hovering around 5000 points for a while now with some good swings.
    There is hope yet longer term.

MJK:D

5. Simon Hampel

6. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

Nice site Sim.

I suggest having a look at that comparison chart since 2003.. 5 years being the suggested time frame and all of many MF's.. That picture indeed says 1000 words.

7. Simon Hampel

Yup, pretty hard to beat the market during a bull run. According to my stats page, there are only 11 non-geared "blue-chip" Australian funds (that I currently track) which beat the STW ETF over that 5 year period (distributions reinvested but before tax).

Will be interesting to see the comparison in another 5 years time.

8. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

See the US Fund Results today?

Over 14% so far this Quarter!! At last...... :D

9. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

Pretty hard to beat an index fund full stop is my contention.

Bull markets do favour a fully invested buy and hold approach it's true. Though if you have some sort of edge over random in timing when a market is favouring X approach and when it's favouring Y approach then there are likely many better choices than an index fund.

10. Simon Hampel

One of the reasons I built that site was to start investigating whether there are actually any funds which do indeed have an "edge" over a long period of time.

Sure, some funds might have made some good decisions and done better than average - but if they can't maintain that lead over an extended period and consistently outperform (and if you can't somehow take advantage of just that outperformance over shorter time periods), then there's probably no point trying.

I'd like to get to the point of being able to run "what-if" scenarios to back-test various investment strategies against historic data.

11. Simon Hampel

Seen the AUD lately ? Down nearly 10% over the past few weeks. :rolleyes:

12. Simon Hampel

I think the attached chart shows some interesting data ... accumulated returns from July 1 2005 for STW ETF versus CFS Geared Share fund.

At one point, the geared fund was up 150% for the period, 80% more than the ETF ... while now it is less than 5% higher after all that time.

The joys of gearing :D

Of course I have no doubt that in 10 years time, the geared fund will be significantly higher than the ungeared ETF.

Attached Files:

13. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Yes I realise that Sim.

14. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Aud/usd

The downside could stretch AUD/USD towards 0.8500 in the near term - (currently 0.8782). ;)

15. Denis__

Denis__ Well-Known Member

US Fund

I thought that the Navra US fund was currency neutral, in that shares were purchased in $US and value was converted to $AU immediately to avoid all hedging issues. Therefore implying that quoted return was not affected by currency fluctuations.Is this correct?
    Regards

Denis

16. Simon Hampel

Yes and no.

The changes that were brought in just meant that rather than holding cash in USD (and hence making their cash holding subject to currency fluctuations), they held cash in AUD and only converted to/from USD at the time of trading.

In the old system, distributions could be affected by currency movements, since realised profits held as USD cash could be eaten away by a rising AUD.

However, the changes only affect cash holdings ... the value of the fund (and hence unit price) is quoted to us in AUD, and includes both cash AND share asset value - so while the cash holdings no longer fluctuate due to currency movements, the value of the shares held by the fund still will.

If you buy shares in IBM @ $100 per share when the AUD buys you US$0.80, and then the currency climbs to US$0.90 while the share price is stagnant, then the value of your holdings in AUD terms drops by 12.5%. Of course, now we are seeing the opposite - a drop in the value of the AUD sees the value of the share holdings rise in value by the same proportion.

More explanation of the changes that were made are in Steve's presentation from March last year:

http://www.invested.com.au/7/navra-presentation-us-fund-20070329-a-34031/

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.