Managed Funds Navra Fund - Qtr 1

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by ActiveTrade, 31st Aug, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

* Psstt TryHard......over here...... I'll talk about what the Fund may do. Shhhh. :D

Firstly, it's great to see the US Fund with some good performance. I know why it hasn't performed that well up until now and to be honest I'd got to a stage of not really expecting much if anything in the way of Distributions. Not a great feeling when you are paying out interest.:eek: But hey, maybe we've turned the corner and when I'm starting to think about the next Oz Distribution I can actually factor in the same or better for the US.

I'd be hoping for at least a 2-3% for Oz and even better for the US.

Finally, yes it's a given that the Final Distribution amount can't be precisely known until the Fat Fund Manager Sings,but I agree, lighten up. If people want a guess and to see how close they get, it may actually help their understanding of how the Distribution is formed, and they've had a bit of good natured discussion along the way. If you don't want to join in the discussion, that's fine and is no different to the choice most of us make about not adding to a lot of threads.

It's all good....

2. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

Last couple of weeks in the quarter and I'm always looking for the Navra distribution Prediction thread! Couldn't live without it.:D

MJK

3. Barracuda

Barracuda Member

I don't believe that the US fund is currency hedged, so be careful not to attribute all of the recent gains in the US fund to increased trading profits as opposed to the rapidly falling AUD.

Swings and roundabouts - it was a hard environment to make profit whilst the AUD was increasing.

4. ActiveTrade

ActiveTrade Well-Known Member

Thanks for your post TryHard. The more discussion the better !

Sorry Mark L ...

5. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Why? If you want to discuss, then discuss to your heart's content! I was just saying that I personally don't see the point in speculating about market movements - that applies to investing as a whole, not just the Navra fund.

Mark

6. ActiveTrade

I just looked up definition of speculating ... " ..to engage in thought or reflection; meditate"

Isn't what InvestEd is all about ? Perhaps I missed something. :eek:

In any event ... I am glad you are happy to see others discuss this topic then.

7. Chris.R_WA

Chris.R_WA Well-Known Member

Come oooooooon 2.5%...*blows dice and rolls* :) I could use the spare cash right about now!

8. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Exactly right Barracuda.

:)

9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Geez Mark, lucky they dont have you in sales :D

[​IMG]
    The Fund will do, what the fund will do

10. Mark Laszczuk

How did you know Eeyore was my favourite Pooh character?

On another note, I've been adding to my position whenever I can, have you?

Mark

11. lorrimer

lorrimer Well-Known Member

Isn't it amazing how difficult it is to jump in and buy units when the market is down and units are going cheap!
    I didn't think twice about buying when they were in the 1.12 range, but now because of my already high LVR I'm really concerned that I may be doing the wrong thing.
    However I have been forcing myself to do so, so only time will tell I guess.
    My prediction FWIW is at least 2.5%. Because of the huge volatility over the past couple of months. After all this is what the fund is supposed to thrive on isn't it?
    Does anyone know if the fund has lightened up on BHP and Rio? That sector has me a little worried at the moment!

12. ffc1883_1996

ffc1883_1996 Member

With the contrarian nature of the fund, I would have thought that most of 2008 would have been sent selling resources and buying banks.

13. ActiveTrade

In this bear market I am trying to decide if it's best to lower my LVR (ie- Pay down some debt) or purchase more units.

14. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Yep :D

Monthly Savings Plan as well as an additional purchase or two

15. Mark Laszczuk

Nice one mate! I don't do DCA. Not really my style. I'm more of a hands on person. But that's made easier by working in the industry. It's my job to monitor the market. I prefer to wait for good buying opportunities, then put money in. But you know, the last 8 months have been like the gift that keeps on giving.

Mark

16. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

I am dying to get into some more but since 22 July when Rolf our broker asked for a partial release of security to free us up some more cash, the imbeciles at St George (apparently the dragon icon means "drag on") could not have displayed more incompetence if they tried. They have sent out and lost 2 sets of docs, and I just vented a spleen at an undeserving receptionist, who kept me on hold 15 mins while the settlements manager went from 'being in a meeting' to 'gone home'. That's what I get for ringing at 4.45 pm and expecting "gold service" they pride themselves on. Anyway, when St George finally do something useful we are back on the NI game :) I wonder if I would be ignored if I missed a mortgage repayment for a month or 2.

Better luck to all :)
    Carl

17. Mark Laszczuk

Hhaahaha oh man, St George! They lost $4,000 of mine a few months ago. Luckily got it fixed up with a minimum of fuss. Always very handy to have mortgage brokers on your side when you need stuff like ths rectified.

Mark

18. ActiveTrade

TryHard- gotta love banks don't ya?

I have been with Westpac for a while now and no issues. Touch wood.

I am waiting for my tax refund to buy some more stock. If only Great Southern would pay their damn dividend and issue statement !

I cannot believe it's almost mid Sept and I am still waiting for tax statement for ABN Amro installment warrants and Great Southern !!!! :eek:

19. Mark Laszczuk

Active Trade, I know of at least one company - a major Australian company - that doesn't send out their stuff until October, meaning clients can't get things done until then. Well... that's how it has been for the last few years at least.

Mark

20. ActiveTrade

October ! Wow !

Luckily I factored in enough buffer to cover 2008 grape investment !

I am thinking I will probably not receive anything back from ATO until at least October. This means I will have to wait until at least mid Jan '09 before distribuition to service Great Southern loan.

Mark - do you know if this is the last year for any agribusiness investments ? My understanding is that everyone was awaiting ATO ruling on these investments. Any idea ?