Managed Funds Navra Fund Performance - Happy Days

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by MichaelW, 2nd Mar, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Yes.......I think the name TOLL will be 'ringing' loudly in the NavraInvest Offices of late......

Oooohhhhh.......well someone had to say it? Hmmm....maybe not.:eek:

2. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Dare I say, they may even be the "bell"-weather of Navra performance for a while...

:eek:
    Michael.

3. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Guys,

Stop feeding the tolls.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Jokes like these aren't terribly appealing :p

5. MichaelW

Nice close!

Cool,

The ASX200 closed at 4951.3, up 63.2 points for the day. Now, THAT's a strong close. The previous highest close for the index is 4956.7, so we're now only inches away from crossing into record territory again since it came off on the 1st Febuary.

When it crosses I'll post the chart of performance of the fund versus the index, but as at today its looking really healthy! ;)

Very happy days indeed.

Cheers,
    Michael.

6. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Toll was up some 17% at one point, I hope the fund sold off heaps at that point as it went down about 8% after that. But I was a happy chappy watching that at work today (while the boss is not looking) and keeping some workmates up to date with it (like Sean). :D
    It would not surprise me to see the wholesale fund close at around 15% today (up from 13.5ish)
    So shall we hazard a guess at this quarters dividend yet? If it stays at around 15% , I am guessing a dividend of 3.8%.....lets hope its more though :) :)

7. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

While I think the recovery of TOLL is fantastic news for the Fund :D, how much of a performance impact it will have will be directly related to a) how much of it NavraInvest was holding and b) at what prices it was purchased (stating the obvious I know ;) ).

Now without knowing for sure, I would be amazed as part of a Risk Management Strategy, if the Fund didn't limit it's exposure to an individual stock no matter how far it fell in price. Since the Fund is holding about 20 stocks, I wouldn't think they would go past about 10% individual holding(my total and utter guess only) per stock maximum, so while the recovery is fantastic news, it will still be one stock in the portfolio and probably a limited holding.

All great news though...........

Hmmmm........up 17 and down 8...........crikey, there may have even been some buying amongst the almost definite selling. :rolleyes:

:)

8. perky

perky Well-Known Member

That is correct Alan, I do remember one time Steve saying that 10% IS the max the fund has in any one stock at a given time.
    Hopefully thesystem saw the buy opportunity when the stock went down to around $11 just a few weeks ago - and sold at around $15 sometime yesterday morning.....that would be a nice profit eh!! (and then perhaps bought back in at the close). Very nice !!

9. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

VERY nice.......

:)

10. MichaelW

I reckon 1.1485... ;)

That's what I reckon the NavTrade Retail Application price closed at or about yesterday. That would be up from the 1.1336 the day prior. That's just a quick growth projection based on the amount of growth evidenced in the ASX200 day-to-day and extrapolated to the unit price of Navra if it matched the index.

A few of us are speculating that the TOL performance gives them every chance of doing just that and maybe even beating the index for the day. Especially when you add the "final third" of the recovery theory into the mix that Steve mentioned. Of course, they might be a bit cash heavy at the moment which would hold them back too.

We'll know in about an hours time when they figure it out. Hopefully they'll post it soon thereafter, otherwise I'll just call them and ask. ;)

If it did close in the order of 1.1485 then that represents 9.6% growth since I bought my units on 14/10/2005. Not bad hey! I'll take almost 10% over a 5 month period anyday. Annualise that and take out your costs then the net return is looking very pretty indeed...

Cheers,
    Michael.

11. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

I think annualising your return is just kidding yourself in any investment!

12. MichaelW

Not if you lock in that return with some put options and allow for the cost of these in your net returns... They'd be a bit expensive at 5200 odd at the moment though I reckon. ;)

Otherwise, I agree.

Cheers,
    Michael.

13. notts

notts New Member

Michael

Buying put options protects your paper profits against a major fall. They will provide no benefit ( actually a loss) if the rest of the year you are annualising is flat or choppy.

Regards

Nots

14. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

NavraInvest retail fund unit price is $1.1541 today.

Is NI likely to achieve a performance fee this quarter? Is it beating the index?

MJK :)

15. MichaelW

MJK,

Not quite, but still an awesome quarter... On the 23rd March, when the unit price was at 1.1541, the ASX200 was at 5035.5. This represents the following returns for the March quarter at that point in time:

NavTrade Retail 4.64%
    ASX200 5.88%

So, still lagging the index slightly for the quarter. But, hey, if you can call a 4.64% return in a quarter bad, then you shouldn't be investing! :D

I'll take 4.64% a quarter any day.

Awesome stuff.

Cheers,
    Michael.

PS Spreadsheet attached showing the growth in the fund relative the index plus the performance fee comparison.

Attached Files:

16. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

Yes, should be a great distribution. Just wonder how long NI can go along without earning anything for themselves?

MJK

17. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

When is it due to be paid out?

18. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Teresa can give you a more precise answer, but from experience it will be around mid-April.

Cheers
    N.

19. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Most of my Distributions have been paid about 10-13 days after the end of the Quarter................

20. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Wow.......Toll up 8.9% for the day to close at $14.33. :eek:

I was just looking at the Price Chart for the last few months.......

Don't be surprised to see this Stock used as an example of a classic DCT buy/sell period in action. :)