Investments help?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by suse, 13th Sep, 2012.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. suse

suse Member

Hi all

My partner and I have $28K in blue chip shares, and about 3K in cash.

We unfortunately had to spend about 10K recently due to some obligations (which sucks!) ;)

We are fortunate to be debt free - except for our HELP/HECS loans (which I personally see as a reduction in future income rather than a debt!)

I'm hoping for us to be able to save approx $1500 per month from here on out (fingers crossed!). My question is, what investments should we consider making from here?

Our goals are to purchase a decent IP in the next 5 or so years with a good rental return, probably in the $400K price range. Ideally we'd put down a large a deposit on that as possible to reduce interest. We also want to maintain a good chunk of our shares (WOW, NAB, QBE, TLS, WES, CBA)

I know shares are a bit volatile at the moment and it doesn't bother me for a long term strategy. However, if we need to convert shares to cash in the next 5 years for a deposit though, they may be too risky a short term investment.

Any ideas for short term investment options with medium volatility & medium-high growth?

Thanks everyone.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Why not buy a house to live in first?

3. suse

suse Member

Hi again Sim.

At the moment we're happy to rent cheaply... Our current rent would be cheaper than the interest we would pay on a home loan. If we buy an investment property first at least there would (hopefully) be tenants to pay that mortgage off for us.

Love hearing your advice though if you have other opinions

4. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

investments help ?

deciding if full or partial DRP participation , fits in with you aims/income (on your blue chips) might be a good place to start . (at an upfront cost of internet bandwidth )

this is a very individual decision but can be changed within a reasonable time-frame .

this decision will affect cash income and the stored asset value of you blue chips .(possibly allowing a partial downsizing of your better stocks ... sometimes even the best are ridiculously over-priced )

cheers !!