2010 Portfolio

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by GunnerGuy, 3rd Jan, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

INE on the ASX it's not an ETF though.

About 6 ETF's listed on the US exchange.

2. GunnerGuy

GunnerGuy Index & Property Investor

I get coverage in India from ETF's -

IBK (OZ) and BRIC (UK) and XNIF (UK)

3. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Hi GunnerGuy,

What's happening in your neck of the woods?

Johny. :p

4. GunnerGuy

Update Portfolio

Well havn't times changed in the last 12 - 18 months. As an active investor with a wide diversification of shares/funds in my portfolio I have become increasingly defensive to that stage that reallyI do not know what is going to happen in the next 1-2-3 years. I greatly fear for the 'Developed' economies and recessions are again upon us. Growth is like a flat squid, Governments are in a mess, and austerity and Government cut backs are going to be here for a long time. And China .... hard or soft landing ? I dont know. Researching articles on the internet suggest housing issues in China and Australia.

My potfolio reflects this. I have liquidated a lot of assets, 'hunkered -down' as the Americans say and have plenty of 'dry powder' should an opportunity arise. Which I dont think will happen.

12 + 16 months ago I sold two of my rental properties and have become significantly conservative.

For 2011 so far my investment portfolio is about +6% compared to FTSE (-13%) and ASX200 (-16%). My current holdings are:

My 'Liquid Portfolio' makes up 35% of my total Investment Assets. The other 65% is in Property giving me a low but reasonable 3% annual inome after costs, with possibly some small Capital gain, maybe 2%-3% if I am lucky.

My 'Liquid Portfolio' is ......
    Gold/Precious 30.3%
    Cash 25.4%
    Short Term Fixed interest 16.9%
    China 5.2%
    Australia Large 4.9%
    Oil Companies 3.7%
    Taiwan 2.9%
    S.korea 2.4%
    Hong Kong 1.9%
    Brazil 1.2%
    US Small 1.1%
    US Large 1.0%
    India 0.9%
    UK Large 0.8%
    Other Asia 0.6%
    Russia 0.5%
    Singapore 0.3%
    Europe Large 0.3%

There will be trying times ahead. Investment wise I do believe that Europe and the UK will give no real investment return over the next 6-12 months, if not more. US is also struggling, but depends on QE3 and the exchange rate. Gold will continue higher, slowly but surely. Asia will be the star over the next 10 years but I dont think that the low is in yet, maybe in 1 or 2 years.

GunnerGuy

5. GunnerGuy

Portfolio Update - 2012

I have been very poor on this forum in updating my portfolio. I have been relatively quiet in 2012 buy have made some changes. Here is my latest portfolio. I have spent a lot of time on another Australian investment forum also. I hope this post generates some interest, comments, questions, and ideas.

Here is the update. FYI I am 46 married, living in Malaysia, 2 kids, with Australian PR and plan to return to Perth in 12-18 months.

Overall investing strategy is : Diversification in equities through core holdings in International ETF's (emerging growth), direct Australian share holdings (dividends), gold (inflation/security), commodity (inflation/growth).

Medium - Long Term (5-10years) expectations are:
    US/Europe very slow growth.
    Asia will do well.
    Australia better than Europe and benefit from Asia.
    Australian Property flat.

Total Assets:
    OZ Investment property, no debt, fully rented - 67%.
    'Liquid Portfolio' makes up 33% of my Total Assets.

'Liquid Portfolio' ........

Gold/Precious: 39.6%
    Australian large share holdings : 20.2%
    China ETF : 6.35%
    US Large ETF : 4.9%
    Cash : 4.5%
    S.Korea ETF : 3.6%
    Taiwan ETF : 3.5%
    Fixed Interest : 2.6%
    Australia Small share holdings : 2.5%
    UK Large shares/ETF : 2.2%
    Hong Kong ETF : 2.0%
    Singapore ETF : 1.7%
    US Small companies ETF : 1.4%
    Oil Companies : 1.3%
    India ETF : 0.7%
    General Asia ETF : 0.7%
    Brazil ETF : 0.6%
    Agriculture commodity ETF : 0.5%
    Europe Large ETF : 0.3%
    Russia ETF : 0.2%

Total Summary:

Investment Property : 67.24%
    Precious Metals : 12.99%
    Australian Equity : 7.42%
    Emerging Equity : 6.34%
    Global Equity : 2.88%
    Cash : 1.47%
    Fixed Interest : 0.85%
    Commodity : 0.80%

Property = 67.24%, Equity = 16.64%, Precious/commodity = 13.79%, Cash/Fixed = 2.32%

With a high proportion of my assets in investment properties and a high proportion of gold holdings the rest of my liquid portfolio is focussed towards higher risk emerging markets, plus Australian dividend paying stocks.

ETF's and share holdings (UK, OZ, and US markets) include, but not limited to:
    ANZ, WBC, IBK, IEM, IVV, IZZ, TLS, NEN, IRI, SIG, STW, BRIC.L, XX25.L, ITWN.L, QQQ, SPY, ITW, IKO. ISF.L, IJR, SLXX, BULP, CRUD, COFF.L, HES, BARC.L, BNC.L, INN.

I hope not to require any of these funds in the liquid portfolio for at least 5-7 years, so I can hopefully (emotionally) accept some volitility and come out on top by then. Some nice dividend paying Australia stocks are now also held.

Regards,
    Gunnerguy.

GunnerGuy

6. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Hi GG

How are you tracking the performance of the funds?

Are you benchmarking it against anything?

Are you just dollar cost averaging into the funds with dividends or re-balancing at given points?

7. GunnerGuy

portfolio

Redwing,

I am tracking my performance only by using an excel spreadsheet. The ETF's hopefully, follow their respective market indecies.

I am buying/selling throughout the year based on Australian tax year in some cases, and market movements. Sold down a lot in 2010, and bought on again in 2012. Some form of dollar cost averaging I guess.

I benchmark my overall portfoilio against the FTSEE100 and ASX All shares. My thought is that with my portfolio/investment management I have to beat these two indecies or I could just put it all in an ASX ETF and do nothing.

A combination of passive and active.

Gunnerguy.

8. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

check out "valuation-informed indexing" on google

9. professionalgamblercomau

professionalgamblercomau Profit Maker

Nice Thread

Good thread gang... well done.

10. GunnerGuy

May 4th. Portfolio Update

Well it seems that the US may actually be grinding out some sort of Growth while Europe's quagmire continues. ECB lowered interest rates, seems they are still worried, and in OZ the Banks are doing well while RBA may also reduce interest rates.

With the large rise in Oz shares up to Feb/March this year I had some very large percentage holdings and was getting worried about a pull back. The market fell and triggered my stops and liquidated a large amount of Oz stocks. They have since risen above this stop and I have only bought back about half of what i had so the Oz percenatge seems low. I may have missed out on some gains, and incurred trading costs (about $100), but I had to have stops place to keep my peace of mind.

Here are the current standings in my liquid portfolio for those interested.

(change since last update 1st. Jan 2013?)

Ordered on percentage change in asset allocation

Cash : 12.4% (+7.9%)
    US Large ETF : 9.9% (+5.5%)
    Singapore ETF : 3.4% (+1.7%)
    S.Korea ETF : 4.4% (+0.8%)
    Turkey 0.8% (+0.8%)
    Taiwan ETF : 4.3% (+0.8%)
    General Asia ETF : 1.4% (+0.7%)
    Australia Small share holdings : 3.1% (+0.6%)
    China/HK ETF : 6.5% (+0.2%)
    Europe Large ETF : 0.4% (+0.1%)
    US Small companies ETF : 1.4% (0%)
    India ETF : 0.6% (-0.1%)
    Energy commodity ETF : 0.6% (0%)
    Brazil ETF : 0.6% (0%)
    Russia ETF : 0.2% (0%)
    Agriculture commodity ETF : 0.4% (-0.1%)
    UK Large shares/ETF : 2.1% (-0.4%)
    Australian large share holdings : 19.5% (-0.7%)
    Fixed Interest : 0.4% (-2.2%)
    Gold/Precious: 27.5% (-12.1%)

The main changes are :
    - The reduction in gold allocation : due to selling & lower gold price.
    - Moved fixed income assets to cash and stocks.
    - Reduction in Large Oz shares due to stops hit in March, thus was up to 26%
    - Increase holdings in US (taken a punt on AAPL)
    - Increase holdings in Asia.

Bank divis look good. May do a quick buy for the divi and dump for Capital Losses before end of the tax year.

All these are outside my Super, however I am starting to think about setting up a SMSF but as the Govt continually adjust the benefits of Super I am not sure if it would be safe having a lot of assets in the super. Yes there are tax advantages, however I do believe that tax on super will increase in time to make it not that worthwhile to have your assets 'stuck' in Super.

Gunnerguy.

11. GunnerGuy

December 2013 : Portfolio Update

... well enough is enough ..... after a successful year with my portfolio and dividend income I have decided to no longer climb the wall or worry and get out. Yes out, as much as I can get out of equities. To be honest I am scared. I have liquidated a lot of equity and am now heavy in cash and some gold (physical). A little bit of shares in some old long stabding mutual funds.

Here are the current standings in my liquid portfolio for those interested.

Ordered on percentage change in asset allocation

Cash : 53.7%
    Gold : 21.9%
    Aus Large : 6.7%
    S.Korea : 4.1%
    China : 2.5%
    UK Large : 2.4%
    US Large : 2.4%
    Asia : 1.1 %
    Taiwan : 1.1%
    Aus small : 0.6%
    Europe : 0.6%

Since 1st. July my portfolio has gained about 12% without including dividends, but including trading costs and tax.

If the fall comes then I should not suffer too much, but yes I may miss out on some gains. I will see how Christmas / New Year goes and if no big fall comes I will again get itchy feet again and start to buy in slowly. I have traded for almost 20 years and find it difficult to stay out but this time I really will try to sit on my hands until ...... abitrarily the 1st. February then slowly dollar cost average in again. Due to the size of my liquid funds to use in shares the trading costs are insignificant. If the fall comes after I start to buy in I will hopefully not have bought in as much as I have liquidated in the last day.

Gunnerguy.

12. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

interesting !!
    I am tending towards accelerated accumulation of gold producers and selected top 200 (in preference to top 50) stocks , more towards NZ and the "lesser Asian " nations like Indonesia and Vietnam (can't find appealing stocks in India to date )

unfortunately my cash is coming from prematurely converted bonds and notes and take-overs in equities I would MUCH rather have kept .

good luck ,

13. twisted strategies

isn't the passing of time strange ??
    goodness gracious !!

i found only one Indian focused stock NSL ( now held without cash at risk )

gold miners ..
    NST ( now held without cash at risk )
    EVN ( now held without cash at risk )
    MOY ( now held without cash at risk )
    MLX up 58%

and NZ has had some big winners but some battlers as well

SPK + 39%
    CNU ( now held without cash at risk ) up 94%
    IQE down 60%
    GTK up 53%
    TME up 52%

UK focus
    HGG currently up but expect to top-up in the the Brexit drama

China focus

DFM and CDC both down but am willing to average down ( down about 20% on both )

14. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I commend you on having the guts to publish your thoughts and portfolio details here. Seems you have had some good returns.

However you have missed out on recent gains by exiting markets and goes to show why I don't try to time the market or make predictions.

15. twisted strategies

Hodor ,
    i had thought a GFC replay in 2013/2014 and planned for such by having extra cash come from other sources , we all now i got that wrong ( but not certain there will be no crash this decade )

luckily i tended to (what i saw as) defensive stocks which have mostly defied their type-casting .

a total sell-out of shares for me was never a sensible option , so i can't claim credit for a common-sense choice.

i try for an array of 'what if' plans , and hope i can stay calm enough to implement the best strategy

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia