Advice - Assistance with Family Trust

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by pete.saba, 24th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. pete.saba

pete.saba New Member

Hello all,
    New to the forum, and hoping someone can help. I don't seem to be able to find a clear answer on this.

During the startup of a business, a Company was setup (pty ltd) as the trustee of a unit trust (PMH) and the unit trust was to "pay out" to myself and 2 other family trusts. As the business was being structured and put together, I had a falling out with one of the directors and pulled myself out of the business. So I am no longer part of the PTY LTD (no longer a director) and no longer part of the unit trust which is the business (PMH), but I believe that I still have the "family trust" opened, as the accountants who looked after it all said i should just leave it there in case I wanted a family trust in future.

My family trust has no assets, no bank account and no ownership of anything. nor has it distributed any funds in any way.

I wanted to know, because this had no requirement to be opened any more, are there any tax implications for holding it opened in case of future business ventures or would I be better off just closing it down? I'm not aware of what the costs are of keeping it opened, if I need to lodge a yearly "nil" return for it and if I can do that myself or require an accountant to do it?

Any assistance or knowledge on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

2 people like this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Who is the trustee of the family trust? You personally or a Pty Ltd company?

2 people like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

A trust must have some assets otherwise it will not exist. A trust is just X holding assets for Y. Surely the trustee is holding at least the settled sum of $10 or $20?

The trust must lodge a tax return. But in this case it would be a nil tax return probably. You can do it yourself. Just make sure you include the settled sum in the assets section.

2 people like this.