Being too frugal?

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by Simon Hampel, 28th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

And you call that frugal:D? I must admit I use a good cut of rump steak in the beef stir fries. Still add a pinch of baking soda when marinating the meat and it is soooooo wonderfully melt in your mouth tender. Damn I just had lunch and now I'm hungry again. Mrs @trinity168 it's all your fault:(.

Trouble is I've been trying to master Asian cooking for many years but it still has more of a western taste. Unlike my Asian friends back when I was in Canberra. Funny thing was a Cambodian women I was good friends with used to occasionally bring me in food cause I always raved about how good her cooking was. She decided to have a go at spagetti bolognase. Funny thing was it tasted like a Thai noodle dish. She had the opposite problem. She couldn't make anything taste western:D.

Oh well I'll have a ginger beer instead:):cool:.

2 people like this.
  2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

He he. Yes I used to make Kombacha years ago in a large food grade bucket. Was supposed to cure everything under the sun. Ours tasted quite nice with a little effervescence. Much better than the stale bottled stuff in health food stores. But my wife got tired of the smell of it near the kitchen all the time. Fermentation is best reserved for home brew I decided:).

2 people like this.
  3. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

You might like kefir, @Bran. You make your own flavors, and can make ginger beer. I just started about 2 months ago, so am just keepig it simple, either lemon or ginger or both. I got the dehydrated water kefir grains online for $20.

@austing -- grocery bill is not cheap ... I can go a year without shopping for new clothes but I try and get quality food when I can.

Broke the Mcdonalds streak, haven't been for 2 years. The other night we were out and I was quite tired so, McDonalds was the only place open. What's worse than McDonalds? .... McDonalds when they are about to close. The gravy tasted like paste.

Last edited by a moderator: 29th Sep, 2016
  4. gizmo-wiz

gizmo-wiz New Member

Spoken like a true Northerner austing :) What's the best way to get fast-started in home-brewing? I have alot of friends that spent years getting things "just right" then gave it up.

5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

The wife does it all, I just help with the bottling. The drinking is what I'm best at:).

She started with the pre-packaged tins / kits. And still uses the tinned / kit product but by adding better quality yeasts, grains and hops etc creates a dramatically improved beer. She hasn't the patience for starting from scratch with grains.

Plenty of home brew forums on the net which can help one get up to speed quickly.

Just another retirement hobby that she enjoys.

6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Hi austing, have heard about this.
    In your opinion does it help or hinder digestion?

3 people like this.