What happens when you retire?

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by jg271933, 8th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jg271933

jg271933 New Member

Hi my name is John,

I really don't know how this all works, but I have 1 question that I can't find any info on Dr Google.

"When you retire and access your super, what happens to all the shares in the fund, can you get them transferred. ie"; Every 12 months with the cash component I have I get CBA shares, do I get them at retirement or are they cashed out, so to speak?

2. Heinz57__

Heinz57__ New Member

I assume that once the fund is in pension draw down mode the number of shares reduces as the fund balance reduces?

3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

With most super funds you have units in one of their strategies which have a given value based on the underlying assets. Under this scheme there wouldn't be a way to take individual shares that I can see, so you would be paid the cash value of the units.

If you have a SMSF or Direct Shares then things might be different.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

The fund must pay out a minimum each year. This could come from the income of the fund, but if this is not enough the fund may need to either sell some shares or possibly transfer shares inspecie.