Why not listen to the media and brokers

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Tropo, 17th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"Even after it became common knowledge that Enron was a fraud and was under investigation by the SEC brokers still continued to recommend it.
    In fact as it disappeared it was still considered to be a hold".

Why Not Listen To The Media And Brokers

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

'listen to all , but think for yourself' seems appropriate here

only once have i 'taken a tip ' ( and it was from my broker )

BUT i did research it myself , before parting with cash .

anyway the company found headwinds ( as junior gold miners do ) , the share price slid , but the company was making progress , so started averaging down in the dips
    after several years the company's hard work was showing promise , so another company put in a take-over offer ( a successful one )
    because i had averaged down i crystallized a profit ( maybe 50% after costs ) instead of a 'buy and hold ' loss .

so don't be afraid to consider alternate strategies at the first sign of troubles ( do i stay or leave or buy the dips or something else

3. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

..............so don't be afraid to consider alternate strategies at the first sign of troubles ( do i stay or leave or buy the dips or something else
    No offence so far, but .....tell me ......what have you been smoking lately....?????

4. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

actually i came with the asthma feature , i don't need to smoke anything .

but have tried some interesting tactics to dig myself out of trouble

sometimes to escape at 'break even ' and sometimes turn a mistake into a multi-bagger ( yes luck was on my side , but ..... )

and of course some end badly ..

but i am saying sometimes the extra effort of trying hard pays off .

the broker's tip , did work out( for me ) but only after a lot of extra thought ( buy and hold would have crystallized an 80% loss at the take-over )