Managed Funds Opinion on Switzer growth fund?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Frank Manno, 2nd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Frank Manno

Frank Manno Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Has anyone checked out the Switzer growth fund yet? Any opinions on this? I'm wanting to invest in a safe fund. I'm an old school thinker who only feels comfortable with property investing but I want to diversify a little into other asset classes.

Switzer Dividend Growth Fund – Switzer Asset Management

-Frank

2 people like this.
  2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Management fee is 0.89% and it is looking to invest in mainly large caps - a very well researched market segment.

If you are looking at a safe fund then I wouldn't be looking at something just listed.

Have a look at the older and low cost Listed Investment Companies (AFI, ARG and MLT among others). They are tried and tested for many decades, they invest in a similar market segment and look to pay a stable dividend all at a lower cost (~0.15%).

AFIC :: Australian Foundation Investment Company
    Argo Investments Limited
    MILTON CORPORATION LIMITED | An Australian Listed Investment Company Since 1958

That 0.75% fee difference really adds up long term and presents a significant "head wind" to the performance of SWTZ.

*I hold all the LICs listed above

6 people like this.
  3. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

maybe i am not looking in the correct place but i would have like to see at least the top 5 holdings .

but no matter, they are relying on 'cherry-picking ' the XJO ( ASX top 200 ) and tweaking as necessary

so ... a stable well known LIC ( i chose BKI and not the ones Hodor selected a timing and entry price thing , ) v. SWTZ , with a more active mandate or an ETF focusing an ASX top 200 , top 100 , top 50 or top 20 or a top 200 'smart beta '

one selling point is quarterly ( 3 monthly ) divs , no franking is mentioned ( that i saw , so i would assume none ) , no ( extra ) performance fee ( could be good or bad )

i would compare SWTZ against a 'smart beta ' ETF for a close to fair comparison ( still not apples v apples ) computer v 3 top investment brains .

now 'safe ' is the word that sticks in my throat , i am not sure anything is 'safe ' from heavy capital loss over the next 5 years , but in 10 years things might look better .

the timing of your buy-in might actually be more important than the investment selected ( unless your selection fails completely )

SWTZ is all reputation and no track record and even top 100 stocks have epically bad moments ( i hold WOW and ORG as two examples )

not as simple as it seems

4. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

ETF structure so franking will be inline with the underlying stock. ASX200 is franked around 70% so I would expect that are better given the mandate to try and have high franking.

2 people like this.
  5. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

not 'stock-picker' given the 3 main investment personalities used ?? ( given the 1% to 20% cash mandate )

i would have thought a little like a Wilson mid-cap 'actively managed '

mid-term and trend-trading but with an XJO ( ASX top 200 ) focus .

sorry for being cynical , but if i see a facet omitted ( from mention ) i assume nil benefit until i know differently .

SWTZ needs a track history for me 'rockstar names ' aren't enough for me

i even waited on buying into CIE ( which proved to be modestly beneficial )

but i will be watching SWTZ ( but not as closely as MLT as i stalk that elusive entry price )

6. Xavier Tench

Xavier Tench Member

Did not have experience with this company. But once my friend was sharing about
    Forager funds management.

2 people like this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.