Inheritance of $1million.Hell, what do I do with it?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by John Smith, 25th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. John Smith

John Smith Well-Known Member

To the Investchat community, thanks for your support with your recent posts. I have indeed contacted , and spent time, with a member of the FPA who is well-credentialed, and they have already provided us with some preliminary general advice. We are ready to take the next step with that person.
    Prosperous investing to all.

6 people like this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Hey John Smith - for our own edification, once you've got things set up it would be great if you could let us know the basics of the plan you've put in place and progress on how things are progressing. It's always useful to understand how people have approached things.

6 people like this.
  3. Frank Manno

Frank Manno Well-Known Member

Hi John,

I'm in a similar situation as yourself, although I have been contemplating 50% invest in property and the other 50% in other asset classes as advised by a financial advisor..

I don't know if I can bring myself to hand over all my money to the share market. Hence 50% property.

I'm curious as to what you end up doing.. Like Simon said it would be good if you kept us updated.. :)

Good luck.

-Frank

2 people like this.
  4. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

I have spotted this new ( yet to be launched ?? ) ETF , slightly appealing

Australian Bank Floating Rate Bond ETF | BetaShares

like all ETFs it needs deep research

*** Regular attractive income – income paid monthly, and expected to exceed income paid on cash and short-dated term deposits. Income expected to rise should interest rates rise and vice versa ***

• At least 80% of total portfolio weight allocated to bonds issued by the following eligible banks: ANZ Bank, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, National Australia Bank and Westpac (equally weighted)
    • Up to 20% of total portfolio weight allocated to bonds issued by the following eligible banks: AMP Bank, Bank of Queensland, Bendigo & Adelaide Bank, Macquarie Bank, Members Equity Bank and Suncorp-Metway

this is a play in rising interest rates ( on Corporate debt )

please note I am uncomfortably under-exposed to interest bearing securities, currently

this ( IF I buy in ) will be unlikely to be a major part of my portfolio ( I prefer to hand-pick )

5. John Smith

John Smith Well-Known Member

Briefly this ho
    Briefly, this is how it will be allocated (keep in mind that the number is over 1mill): 530k in my wife's super, 300k in mine, 300k to pay off two outstanding loans and the remainder to purchase ff dividend paying shares in my wife's name as she earns less than 30k per year.

2 people like this.
  6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Sounds like a very low risk approach (depending on what the super is actually invested in of course).

4 people like this.
  7. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Probably matches Johns risk profile.

2 people like this.