MoneySmart: Car buying in Australia

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by Simon Hampel, 29th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

ASIC MoneySmart: Car buying in Australia

Motor vehicle facts and figures

Buying a car isn't just about shiny rims and fluffy dice - it is a major financial decision. This infographic shows how you can save money by using ASIC's MoneySmart Cars app and how many people own cars in Australia.

... read more

2 people like this.
  2. RoadofSilks

RoadofSilks New Member

Sorry for the ultra bump.

But as for buying a car in Australia, it doesn't hurt to learn a bit of auto mechanics. I'm not talking about becoming a full on mechanic, but buying some tools and learning to wrench on cars DOES pay dividends in the future.

Couple of my suggestions:
    • Never buy a brand new car- Newer cars are becoming more painful to do your own work on them.
    • Never Finance- This comes back to my first point. Now if you have a family and you NEED a family car, then I can understand chucking down a huge down payment on a family car, but if you're single and don't need a car like that, there is no excuse to finance.
    • Never buy European- European cars are NOTORIOUS for having issues. Plus they are too difficult to fix. Always look at buying used cheap kia's, mitsubishis, toyota's, madza's. JAPANESE and KOREAN. Repairs for European type cars cost arms and legs in the long run, especially as the car gets older.
    • Never Lease- This comes back to point 2, but leasing a car is worthless as you never own it.

6 people like this.
  3. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

if not planning long trips would an electric vehicle be an option ?

i find the current expectation of electric vehicles to cross the Nullabor under their own power the stuff of dreams ( if you do it you won't like the travelling conditions .. no air con, no radio , no movies etc. ).

an electric vehicle for shorter daily use should be ultimately cost effective

4. RoadofSilks

RoadofSilks New Member

Repairs on electric cars can be expensive. When it comes up to doing the major service in them it can cost you an arm and a leg to fix. If you're looking for something cost effective, i'd just go a cheap 1.6L 4 cylinder.

2 people like this.
  5. twisted strategies

they should NOT be expensive to repair , if designed well ( some will try to entrap the user just like big computer manufacturers have ).

also if your electric vehicle will be better for shorter trips ( around your home-base ) so should travel less distance over a normal year ... no overheating at lights , no water pump failures etc.

i suspect a bit of customer resistance will work very well of EV makers .

now of course hybrids bring extra complexity to the game and that can be expensive

6. RoadofSilks

RoadofSilks New Member

It depends, what electric vehicle are you looking at purchasing?

2 people like this.
  7. twisted strategies

me purchasing ... probably none ( while i am on these medications )

but if i did , i would probably select something rather basic , say 150 km range , , rain resistant and wind resistant ( and some lights if i need to travel after sunset . )

i am into transport not lifestyles or fashion statements

Mercedes and BMW will create something for those folk .

8. Auto_King

Auto_King New Member

We wrote an article on our website regarding Vehicle Pre Purchase Inspections. Always get a car checked out before you buy, NOT after.

Last edited by a moderator: 2nd Aug, 2017
    2 people like this.
  9. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I bought a new Mazda 3 two years ago, I figured I would keep it for 10 years and it should be free of mechanical problems - I will really be elderly by then :( who knows what my needs will be then. Dont use it much as I live just up the road from Warners Bay/Lake Macquarie and shopping precinct and only need to fill up tank every 6-7 weeks :D

2 people like this.
  10. diagnostic

diagnostic Well-Known Member

I think it ultimately depends on what you are after. A number of the super rich choose to invest their money rather than dumping it into a depreciating asset... There is nothing wrong with financing a car provided you have an exit strategy and a purpose.

2 people like this.
  11. Indika sonnadara

Indika sonnadara New Member

As a mechanic myself. I would refrain from buying new cars after 2020, because it soon going to be the electric car revolution.
    But it is always handy to know a few DIY stuff on cars. The cost of simple repairs are ridiculous nowadays. For repair videos , You Tube is the best source of information.

2 people like this.