Investment platforms

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by Martinez22, 6th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Martinez22

Martinez22 Well-Known Member

Can anyone please recommend a respective trading platform/website to invest in shares, index funds etc.

Something without any dodgy commissions being paid to brokers in the background.
    I'm feeling overwhelmed with the amount of info available on the internet regarding where to invest.

Just want to set up a diversified portfolio, somewhere respected & reliable for the long term.

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

i hold accounts with Commsec and Bell Direct ( i also hold BFG shares )

both accounts are 'no frills accounts ' ( budget )

neither is perfect but together they can be a workable mix . both have different strengths and weaknesses , there are other choices but since i have not used them i would rather not comment on them .

i pay only brokerage fees ( no extra fees ) ( when i buy and sell )
    HOWEVER this will NOT give you much advice , and only basic quality at that

overwhelmed is rather common , but it is important to think for yourself , and to consider carefully what you need to achieve ( it isn't the same for everyone) and your individual needs can be your edge .

read deeply and if possible question , yes it is hard going , but it is hard-going for almost everyone .

ALWAYS suspect agendas and bias , but then make adjustments to those views to get closer to the outcome you desire .

2 people like this.
  3. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

There's also a heap of research you can purchase. Perhaps follow a few brokerages recommendations for a little while, see who does well and who communicates in a style acceptable to you.

2 people like this.
  4. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

Are you intending to use the platform for daily, or 10 trades a week style "investing" or is it once a month there will be a transaction and you want to track how it is travelling?
    They are 2 slightly different beasts depending on how active you intend to be with it will depend on the information or platform you are looking for.

5. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

I think if you intend to "invest" in Australian listed shares/ETFs/LICs (by which I mean hold for decent periods, reinvest dividends, participate in SPP's, etc.), I think it makes sense to get a HIN (Holder Identification Number) and hence use a CHESS sponsored broker (CMC, Bell Potter, lots of them...). In other words, don't mess about with a custodial broker (like Saxo).

If you are just planning to day-trade then it doesn't matter so much.

4 people like this.
  6. diagnostic

diagnostic Well-Known Member

Never had an issue with Commsec :)

2 people like this.
  7. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

put enough orders in per year and troubles are likely

the ASX has stuffed up the ISP has been a problem and Commsec on the law of averages will have their share as well , however in Commsec's defense the support staff are willing to put the time and patience into working on a solution ( even if the ASX was the main cause ) ( unlike the ISP who palms you off to some Uni student in India )

Bell Direct gets less of the orders to fill so has less chance to have an issue

i can't use IRess but that is an ISP issue , but never had it working properly so have got by without it