SMSF Loans - What are the options?

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by LHGC, 17th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Do you think this should be possible?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. LHGC

LHGC New Member

Hi all,

I am trying to find the right SMSF loan provider for a friend.

Fund info -
    Balance: $500,000
    Annual Contributions: $2,000 (our main source of issue in obtaining finance), and limited ability to make any further contributions.
    Member Age: 50
    Investment Property: Anywhere between $250k older unit and $450k newer standalone property.
    LVR: Open to suggestion to make a deal work.

Although the fund actually has enough money to buy a property outright, the members would like to borrow through an LRBA if possible, to allow them to keep the residual balance invested, liquid and diversified.

The lenders I’ve tried to speak with so far (I’m not a finance broker but work in a related field);

- St George - Just generally were very hard to deal with. BDM didn’t seem knowledgeable and didn’t return calls.
    - Westpac - Said they would be happy to look at the deal, but only if all other banking came over to Westpac, e.g. personal Home Loans, Bank accounts etc.
    - AMP - I have heard that they are quite tough in their assessment of SMSF loans.

If anyone has any experience or suggestions, that would be much appreciated.

I appreciate there may be people commenting that if the members cannot contribute more to the fund, they shouldn’t be borrowing. The way I look at this is that, particularly at a lower purchase price and LVR, they will still have circa $250k cash and investments in their fund, which are liquid and will earn income to top up what I have calculated to be a relatively minor shortfall in cashflow, if any shortfall.

I appreciate that banks shade the rental income for servicing, and increase the interest rates. So at this stage I’m beginng to think that either; a) SMSF lending really is much harder to be obtain these days, or b) it’s hard to find anyone (i.e. bank BDM / broker) who really understands the options here and can provide what I would have thought would be a reasonably easy solution (Given the fund could buy the property today with cash!).

Thanks in advance!

2 people like this.
  2. SMSFCoach

SMSFCoach Member

Try lendex.com.au but lenders must confirm borrower has capacity to repay the loan. Remember it is a Limited Recourse loan so they have no access to the other assets of the SMSF in the event of default. So arguing the borrowers have $250k in other assets in the SMSF is next to meaningless.

Could the fund really earn 8-9% gross guaranteed to offset the cost of the borrowing at 5.5 to 8%. Where are those $250k best invested? Could the diversification be built up with the rent and future low contributions?

2 people like this.
  3. AnthonyK

AnthonyK Active Member

4. AnthonyK

AnthonyK Active Member

Hi Anonymous
    Your answer might be a Related Party personal SMSF LRBA loan..
    That is: a Bank loan secured against your home or investment property On lent by you/spouse to your SMSF. on arms length terms.
    See S65, S109 SISA 1993, make sure you read the ATO Safe Harbour Rules
    Regards
    AnthonyK

2 people like this.
  5. alby.grey

alby.grey New Member

When using a LRBA, the asset must be held in a bare trust by a custodian. CBA offered a product called “SuperGear” that purported to meet the LRBA requirements. However, it now seems that when the SuperGear LRBA is concluded and the asset is transferred to the fund trustee, stamp duty will be payable (notwithstanding the CBA PDS says a stamp duty exemption should be available).

CBA are washing their hands of this matter. Their official, written response when presented with this problem is “in the PDS the Bank makes it clear that it is the responsibility of the investor to seek their own independent taxation and legal advice”

Suggest you avoid CBA.

4 people like this.
  6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Unfortunate, but CBA are correct. They cannot give legal advice on the stamp duty consequences. It is the trustee's (of the SMSF) responsibility to consider this. Trustee's negligence is something they could be sued for - but a member is unlikely to sue a company which they control.

It would never have been a good idea to use a custodian trustee in which you the member didn't control.

7. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

NAB offer a product called Super Lever which provided LRBA for listed shares and managed funds. It looks like the product includes the bare trustee and custodian trusts to hold the assets for each loan (terms, PDS). If so that would mean a custodian trustee which the member does not control. @Terry_w what are the specific risks?

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2021