Investing Interstate advice

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Meg16, 18th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Meg16

Meg16 New Member

Hi all

My husband and i live in Sydney and are looking to invest for the first time interstate, Qld (South Bris) or Tasmania we have been looking at.

My question is when you have purchased interstate did you travel to see/view the house u were buying or did you trust your property managers ?
    If u didn't travel, u found everything to go smoothly?

We would prefer a new home, looking at house/land completed homes to save having any issues with the house itself.

Yarrabilba and Brookhaven stand out in Qld.... Tassie we have a lot of options but the houses we are looking at there are older established homes.

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

welcome to InvestChat ,

i have never been to Tasmania ( so will refrain from commenting there )

but i live in South East QLD

do you need to check it out yourself ( if buying in QLD) .. ABSOLUTELY

in fact build quality is so haphazard and contractor reliability so delinquent ( i can't say criminal until they are formally charged by the police .. not just the regulators )

i suggest bringing a builder you trust with you from interstate , doesn't matter if you are talking hut , mansion , block of flats or office tower , anything built in the last 30 years must be highly suspect now , until proven structurally sound and safe ( yes you NEED to check both individually )

( PS 'new homes ' are not build to any better standards than the old , and might even be of inferior construction )

sorry but have just seen too much chicanery , and negligence

PS make sure all door and windows LOCK SECURELY these clowns can't even fit door and window frames probably so what hope wiring plumbing and gas ( where the inspectors often forget to check carefully )

3. Meg16

Meg16 New Member

That's true, I do agree Twisted.... but I would be inclined to buy a brand new home, or looking at possibly building

What suburb are u in??

2 people like this.
  4. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

am currently in the Logan area , but have worked as a sub-contractor in various parts of the industry including exit cleans , demolition and pre-handover work ( across the South East , especially after major flooding events )

and regardless of BEING millionaire estates , or government housing the theme is pervasion ( including buildings due to be occupied by various government departments) ( how do you NOT notice a problem with your fire exits , or your security/server rooms have trivial strength in the walls , an apprentice tripped , OUTSIDE and fell through it hurting himself badly ON THE SERVER RACKING , that could have been a huge bill )

at a plush lakes estate , a brick wall fell over intact ( bad plumbing installation ) what stunned the onlooking folks was the wall was allegedly a LOAD BEARING WALL ( one of two ) supposedly supporting the tile roof .... you should have seen those pine trusses twist ( normally you would expect those trusses to be HARDWOOD ) .... a million dollar home .. i don't think so .

so take your time and check thoroughly ( even i don't spot all the bad mistakes )

5. R S Gumby

R S Gumby Well-Known Member

Hi Meg16
    I'm from Victoria and used a Buyers' agent to buy me a property in South Oz.
    He took care of everything including arranging a building and pest inspection.
    The first property he recommended, after the B&I, came back with too many repairs for me
    The second property was ok so we went through with it.
    I also actually spoke to the inspector on both occasions as well as being provided with a hard copy of the report.
    So what I'm trying to say is I don't think you have to inspect the property yourself but find a trustworthy BA who can do the leg work for you.

2 people like this.
  6. Meg16

Meg16 New Member

hi RS Gumby,
    Perfect thanks for your reply and help with this. A lot has progressed and happened this week. Funny u say that I've had an awesome agent and now speaking direct with the builder Had plenty of photos of paperwork so far :)
    Scared but excited for our first one

2 people like this.
  7. R S Gumby

Don't be scared - it's an exciting time to be in the market. I'd be wary of the relationship between the builder and your agent though - is the agent getting a kickback from the builder for your referral?. Could be above board but ask your agent the question.

2 people like this.
  8. R S Gumby

Might pay to post this on Property Chat - get some more opinions

4 people like this.
  9. Meg16

Meg16 New Member

The Agent has been helpful yes he's good but I think he does get a commission from the builder that's the feeling I get although im dealing direct with builder and paying a deposit tomorrow. Eeeeekkkk.... Excited and stressed lol. the Property MAnager who we will do the rental side of things with is fantastic so I feel comfortable there. I rung 3 diff ones and she went above and beyond.

Sorry. What question should I post ?

2 people like this.
  10. R S Gumby

The Agent has been helpful yes he's good but I think he does get a commission from the builder that's the feeling I get although im dealing direct with builder and paying a deposit tomorrow.

I'd be posting the above

4 people like this.