ETF ETFs the 'starting point' for Millennials

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by twisted strategies, 16th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

ETFs the 'starting point' for Millennials

i disagree with this article ( but then i am a grumpy old Bary Boomer , NOT a Millennial .)

i do find some ETFs useful but i also find LICs and REITs have an important place in my strategies .as well .

the fine print you need to read in EACH ETF is just as torturous as the paperwork on interest-bearing securities

( DYOR )

2 people like this.
  2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Problem is the article doesn't specify the type of ETF.

Low cost index ETFs are perfect for those with a long horizon.

Smart beta, leveraged and options trading ETFs are a mine field.

4 people like this.
  3. twisted strategies

and that is my main point of the ETF issue , just like buying a residential property , there is a lot of tiny details to be aware of ( before the cash is paid ).

there is plenty of research needed into EVERY ETF needed ( even when from the same company or of a similar style .. say 'high-dividend yield ' )

4. MoneyNotorious

MoneyNotorious Member

Great read and contribution TS!

You are so right that ETF's require a s-tonne of research as they do appear like a really great starting point to millennial such as myself - but smart millennials who understand that there is life after your 20's, you don't have to travel NOW and spending $15 on avo on toast with chai kale latte is a joke.

But as you say, there are so many hidden mines that people like me could get engulfed in. I am really interested in AREITS however as being in construction I've learned to love the industry and sort of keep up to date with whats going on. What should I look out for?

2 people like this.
  5. twisted strategies

RISK !!!!

construction relies heavily on borrowing ( as much as 45% ) and long time frames for completion dates

many a builder /employee or contractor has had a nasty experience when credit dries up or property prices crash ( great money in the good times , and possibly bankruptcy in the bad times

now not every construction firm fails , but some HUGE ones have ( even recently in the UK .

these booms and busts are cyclic ( just like mining booms/busts )

HOWEVER some companies survive decade after decade ( and others don't last a full decade ).

i used to hold SLF ( an ETF focused on the ASX top 200 REIT ) but sold at a modest profit as it wasn't delivering on my expectations ( even in the 'good times ' )

2 people like this.
  6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Do you want your investment returns highly weighted around your income?

Great to invest in what you know, be aware of the concentration of risk

2 people like this.
  7. twisted strategies

similar to being in an employer based super-fund ( the portfolio heavily weighted to the employer's stocks )

great until you have some rough spots

however if you use the theory of the ( Aussie ) economy is just one big beast viewed from different angles ....

i got a nasty lesson from construction firms moving heavily into projects in the Middle East ( mostly Dubai ) ... so the beast you know ( better than one you don't ) ??

i went for highly diversified ( sectors and nations ) but i am hoping for some to survive , not pinning my hopes on 3 big winners