Getting into Penny Stocks?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by LongeCrK, 13th Dec, 2014.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LongeCrK

LongeCrK New Member

So I've read this article on Verge and now all I can think of is investing into penny stocks. What do you guys think, is it possible for a total newbie to actually make a little extra on the side trading penny stocks? Anyone with experience?

2 people like this.
  2. LongeCrK

LongeCrK New Member

Anyone? I can't possibly be the only one

2 people like this.
  3. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Especially newbies should not invest in penny stocks. This is an easy and fast way to lose money.
    Penny stocks are very unreliable and can go both ways (up and down) very quickly.
    Also without a robust risk/money management system/rules in place, your chances to survive in the market are almost nonexistent.

2 people like this.
  4. LongeCrK

LongeCrK New Member

You have confirmed my doubts. As interesting as it sounds, I won't be diving into this sort of this anytime soon. Do you perhaps know a great site/book where I can start learning about penny stocks? It seems like most of the sites are scams with promises of making you millions in just a few days :mad:

2 people like this.
  5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Well...if you are a newbie (as you said), you should get good general knowledge about stock market (forget penny stocks for a while).
    Read books...
    On this forum there is a lot of information on this subject (check shares/trading thread).
    Consider attending some seminars but run ONLY by professional traders with proven track record !!!
    Do not waste your time and money talking/asking financial advisers/planners/stockbrokers/TV "gurus" etc what you should do!!
    Simply - educate yourself. Try to make some money yourself as NOBODY will do it for you !!! :cool:
    Check this site...How to buy shares in Australia |Share Trading | The Trading Game

2 people like this.
  6. Christianrenel

Christianrenel Active Member

Penny Stocks

Penny stock, is an interesting area of the market, and is a place where an individual can lose the shirt in process.

When looking at penny stocks first have daily volume turnover, this may give a starting point on where others are putting there money into the market.

Kind Regards

Christianrenel

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Sep, 2016
    2 people like this.
  7. Investment_writer

Investment_writer New Member

Does Warren Buffett invest in penny stocks... hmmm?

The general idea with investing is to: a) preserve capital and b) get a fair return on your money, and if smart, c) get leverage into a solid investment.

This seems to negate investing in speculative stocks. If you like the idea of getting in early on a winner, why not look out for companies like SEEK (not SEEK but like it) in the early days when they seem to be taking over their marketplace. Or if small amounts, try ETFs for diversification.

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Sep, 2016
    2 people like this.
  8. Kodah

Kodah New Member

well i just put all my net into algae tec, its a penny stock but i know it will go back to at least 30 cents in the next two months... you risk a lot to lose in penny stocks, but you win a lot more, it kind of weighs in fair... Happy trading !

2 people like this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You can't "know" it will go back up unless you have insider knowledge not available to the general public, which I believe would constitute insider trading? Otherwise you're just "praying" it will go up.

Why on earth would you put "all your net" in one stock - and a speculative one at that? That's not investing - that's not even speculating - that's gambling.

No, it doesn't "weigh in fair". There's usually a reason those stocks are cheap. Buying them is speculating - not investing. By definition there's every chance you will lose your money. Do that enough times and you won't have any money left to invest.

If "all your net" amounts to something less than $10K, I'm not impressed - it's hardly much of a risk. Come back when you've got 6 or 7 figures invested in the market and then tell me about your risk management strategy.

5 people like this.
  10. Kodah

Kodah New Member

all i can do is learn my man, i hope nothing but success for you my friend :)

2 people like this.
  11. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

i took my time on this , because a don't consider myself 'a trader's boot-lace '

i do ( but rarely ) buy penny stocks BUT i always buy what i want to hold ( some of them) 'forever ' , say the stock rises 150% i will rescue the investment cash and costs and keep the remainder long term ( i TRY to sell 40% to keep 60% without cash exposure )

obviously company directions change so an exit might be wise ( but that is an after-thought )

buying with the intention of making a quick ( say 50% ) profit isn't a game i play .... ALTHOUGH sometime a take-over can make this easy for the patient , say stock 876 is a take-over target ( close to the formalising of the take-over the impatient might dump that share , )
    recently bought into TTS to deliberately accept the offer ( as a cheaper way of topping up TAH )

while neither TTS nor TAH are 'penny stocks ' the concept is valid and can work

good luck , but take care

12. MrMarket

MrMarket Member

In my view, if I wanted to dabble in this spectrum of the market, I would probably be better placed investing in a highly rated micro cap fund... It's difficult to do part time research on top of a day job, let alone competing against offices full of CFAs and PMs with collective small/micro caps investing experience...

4 people like this.
  13. MrMarket

MrMarket Member

I would also echo Simon's points by adding the fact that when you pay for something that is trading above the intrinsic value (or what something is really worth) and it tanks, the chance of permanent impairment of capital is very real.

The tried and tested way to invest is to pay 50c for something that is really worth $1 - that is you buy below the intrinsic value. If it drops in value in the short term and provided that the fundamentals are intact, you still have what is known as a margin of safety. Obviously working out intrinsic value is easier said than done, but investing in stocks in any other way in my view is gambling.

On this basis, risk is defined as the potential for permanent capital loss. An asset class that is considered 'riskier' than others, can in fact be lower risk if fundamentals are intact and at the right price...

6 people like this.
  14. kum yin lau

kum yin lau Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm thinking of writing a book about my penny stock adventures!

It's basically the same as any averages. Out of 10, you get 2 highflyiers, 2 rotgut rascals and 6 that don't go anywhere.

FY17: NEA still the one! Saved my bacon again.
    BPF @#$% DDt even worse
    SMA don't even touch it
    XPE some rubbish got to our shores from overseas
    MJP I finally had enough and liquidated at 7 cents. It's now 1 cent something!!
    I just did some cleaning up. Liquidated everything and drew a line at the bottom to see how I went. I lost 85K on BPF and 20K on MJP. The rest are very small losses because the shares were very cheap and I did make money on RED, ICN, JCS and a couple of others like YBR.

I made 88K from NEA

Overall, I might be down slightly. I'm so angry with myself that I can't bear to do the final tally yet.

Over the 6 year period from 2012 to 2018, NEA netted 301K in REALISED PROFITS.

I should have made a lot of money but I didn't because I lost heaps on the penny dreadfuls. the actual realised profits over an 8 year period is about 140K, around 8-10%

I dare to put these numbers here because they are actual audited accounts that were reported to the ATO.

It's to let you all know what to expect from investing: a bit better than FD

I'm angry because I realised 17.5%p.a. in my much younger days and property returned 40% for a 10 year period.

But I count myself lucky beacuse I could have lost money. My friend is 80K down and she invested in 'blue chips' for the dividends.

KY

6 people like this.
  15. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

Invest and penny stocks go together like oil & water.

2 people like this.
  16. kum yin lau

kum yin lau Well-Known Member

Hi, for those interested, penny stocks allow someone with very little money to learn how to buy and sell. And if you're favoured by the gods, you might get a gem. It works quite well in tandem with charting.

I've concluded quite long ago that buy and hold for a longish time is a better strategy than to trade up a storm.

But short term trading, used judiciously, adds value over a long term as well because it allows us to tweak our holding cost.

It's all a matter of what suits our personality best.

KY

4 people like this.
  17. twisted strategies

this opens a side discussion ' what is a penny stock ' ??

personally i think of penny stocks as with a share price of one cent ( each ) or less

HOWEVER technically one might suggest a stock with a share price of less than $1 ( 100 'pennies ' )

and in THAT range penny stocks ( when bought ) can be very investable , and i have done very well on sub $1 shares ( when they were bought ) both in capital gain and div. payments

in the sub $1 range i bought NST , EVN , PME JYC .. RCG ( now AX1 ) CMW , and several more .

sub 1 cent shares ( when bought ) and currently paying divs , none in my holding i can think of but some DO have a realistic chance of paying divs within another 3 years ( but are not 1 cent currently either )

18. Hosko

Hosko Well-Known Member

Yep, we certainly hear about the hero 1c stocks from yesteryear who turned minions into millionaires but we hear nothing about the other 100 that amounted to nothing........

2 people like this.
  19. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

:eek: I trust that's just a typo

2 people like this.
  20. twisted strategies

i have seen a few with negative NTA ( net tangible assets ) and some that must be close to a sub $1 million capitalization .

i could probably find the ASX rules to listing .. but we know that can be flexible , from yime to time ,

but to be fair there are plenty of $2 a share companies at listing amount to nothing but pain and misery for the small share-holder

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.