Where to invest in 2018?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by JasonC, 16th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

Curious on peoples thoughts on where they are putting their money in 2018 ...
    • Residential property (certainly in Sydney/Melbourne) looks overvalued.
    • Commercial property yields have contracted
    • ASX doesn't look great value
    • Fixed interest rates are too low
    Looking for food for thought?

Regards,

Jason

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

apart from isolated opportunities ( rural and semi-rural properties ) , some shares being overly punished

i have to agree risk outweighs potential mid-term ( 5 years ) reward , currently

but how far left field do you want to go .. IF you want to sacrifice liquidity ( the ability to exit quickly if needed ) some extra options may open ... say collectible motor vehicles ( or even coins as real money gets rarer )

from your examples given , i assume you need regular income from these investments and that really makes it tricky .

how about property that would allow car-parking ( weekly leases or for special events like car boot sales )

very hard currently to get income at the reduced risk of capital loss ( if you are forced to sell )

and yes like you, i really need to park some cash in a sensible place

cheers

3. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Agree with each of your four bullets, Jason.

Worth looking at foreign equity markets, which (excluding the US) have much more sensible valuations. There are some ASX-listed ETFs and LICs to give you such exposure, if you don't want the hassle of a foreign brokerage account.

(Not investment advice)

2 people like this.
  4. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Cash. And bitcoins.

2 people like this.
  5. Xavier Tench

Xavier Tench Member

The Stock market and share market are ideally suited for making huge money, but the amount of risk involved in those fields is certainly high. To minimize your risk and to protect your money, consider investing in Australian funds management available on the Internet. Though you cannot expect huge returns like stock or shares, you can definitely find good value for your money by investing in funds. Even with a small sum of money, you can protect it using funds. By consulting a professional money manager, you can decide your investment plan. Investing in funds is also a do-it-yourself task if you know the types of funds.

2 people like this.
  6. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

can the funds manager protect against capital loss ( without using options and derivatives , which raises costs/fees and eats into returns if some bets are misplaced .) ??

in a bull run like this i would try to increase my interest-bearing securities exposure , normally but once you factor in inflation risks these vehicles look less attractive as well

property ?? ( imo) coming off a peak will it be a soft or hard landing

safe havens then ?? on the ASX you have 4 ( big ) banks , a telco ( TLS ) two big food retailers ( WES and WOW ) two big utilities players ( AGL and ORG ) and two miners ( BHP and RIO both rather over-valued considering where they sit in the investment cycle ..... anyone one feeling safe about dumping loads of cash in these ( certainly not me )

my 'twisted ' safe havens have already bolted or stumbled badly ( CLV up well over 100% , CCP up close to 250% , CCV is struggling and may yet be a dud pick , CCL needs to be closed to $7 to get me to add more .. let's call it battered with some hope )

but the question is where is good for a cash injection in your investment portfolio

yes the fund managers are professionals but crikey this feels ( to me ) somewhere near the top of the cycle ( say another 10% upside is possible [ XJO = 6710 ] but i think unlikely and PLENTY of downside risk [ good luck if XJO =4500 is convincingly broken ] )

to be honest you are really expecting miracles from your manager to not get washed downhill if the wave of optimism bursts

2 people like this.
  7. Indika sonnadara

Indika sonnadara New Member

2 people like this.
  8. paddy55

paddy55 Member

Unless you are a seasoned and knowledgeable investor, I suggest you invest in ETF's.

2 people like this.