ybr

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by kum yin lau, 21st Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kum yin lau

kum yin lau Well-Known Member

hi, does anyone have an opinion on what to do about ybr? I hold a substantial number of this share. There's a hostile bid of only 9 cents which is a bit ridiculous if you look at the company's financials.

I won't do anything presumptuous as I paid under 10 cents per share.

but i'd like to know what you'll think.

ky

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

i hold MQG which has sold out their stake in this

i notice MVT has bought into this you might like to research that company and their track record .

3. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Forget company finances. Check chart instead, and tell me if you see what I see...
    Amount of trades right now = 10 and volume is 23,845.
    This dog is a joke so far, and right now is moving sideways between $0.095~$0.100
    Do you know what stop loss is ?

2 people like this.
  4. kum yin lau

hi yes, I do know what stop loss is. Which is why I don't make a good trader. i'm greedy and I generally try for more than 10% gain.

The big question is why did MQG sell to MVT? How many existing shareholders will sell to MVT at 9 cents?

is that the reason why there are no trades?

ky

2 people like this.
  5. twisted strategies

( i hold MQG 'free-carried' )

i can only guess why MQG exited

MQG at one stage aspired to become a bigger player in Australian home mortgages and moved into a JV with YBR.

why the exit ??

some reasons i can think of

the Australian home mortgage sector is looking less rosy because
    A. increased regulation
    B. tightening credit markets
    C. an over-heated market

also i think the JV was not living up to ( MQG ) expectations .

MVT seems to be an outright predator

it seems to be an aggressive investment company that seizes opportunities rather than focuses on strategic growth .

6. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

If you do not have proven and tested trading system and risk/money management rules in place, forget trading, and instead play ice hockey or golf.
    Your questions above are not important at all. Check charts and you'll get an answer.

Fundamentals = funny mentals !!

Consider attending courses run by pro traders and read books written by professional traders and not by financial advisers/TV "gurus".
    Have fun...

2 people like this.
  7. kum yin lau

hi, I never said I was a trader, I always said I am NOT a trader.

As to why MQG sold, I risk being sued for slander by voicing my thoughts. The stock market is filled with sharks and barracudas and the big fund managers have more power than the small investors.

As for ybr, I will make some profit. Depends how much.

ky

2 people like this.
  8. twisted strategies

the Europeans ( especially some Brits ) have a low opinion of MQG and affiliates as well .

however in the world of BIG finance MQG seems to generate profits as well as a reputation

i have taken a LOT of profit out of the MQG i aggressively bought in 2011 ( theoretical av. SP $26.76 )

360% in paper profit and absolutely no risk of capital loss ( the investment capital well and truly recovered ) add in useful amount of SYD as a special dividend ( not factor into the paper gains )

and all i will say about MQG is at least in shares the crumbs around to the smaller supporters ( like me )

as a high risk investment ( hoping for only 100% capital growth in 6 years ) MQG has exceeded my hopes very nicely , thank you

bizarrely in 2011 MQG was my second largest holding and is still my second largest holding despite selling 66% of the original holding ( at very nice profit )

9. kum yin lau

hi, in 09 when I first diverted to shares from property, I drew up a list of 10 shares by market cap, dividend yield and pe ratio. MQG and CBA were top of the list.
    I subsequently decided not to buy mQG.

And as you say, bizarrely, I also didn't buy CBA for the silly reason that I couldn't get my funds in in time and the price went up from $25 to $29

with the 20-20 vision of hindsight, how stupid was that/

KY

2 people like this.
  10. twisted strategies

was it so bad ?

or did you not invest elsewhere , instead

while MQG was my singular EXPECTED winner

it was not my best gainer ( even of those bought in 2011 )

TPM bought @ $1.40 has done nicely

BTT ( now PDL) bought @ $2.30 has done nicely as well

but the star buy of 2011 ( for me )

was a little health/tech play PME bought @ 16.5c ( up 5.800% )
    but none up the last 3 had been bought to do anything more than create a dividend income , but grew anyway .

and YES just like you in 2011 i missed plenty of targets and was overwhelmed by potential targets

11. kum yin lau

hi yes, i did but I started very slow with 50k. Techone and IPL were on my list as were some real duds but I did not buy them. bizarre but I made 40k on BOL and I bought QBe which I thought was the defensive stock but fortunately I had the sense to bail out and then subsequently made small gains.

I LOST the lot on 2 speculative penny dreadfuls which explains why I think I can write a book about them!

Overall, my yield is around 13-14% p.a. at the moment, mainly due to NEA

Good hunting to you,

Ky

2 people like this.
  12. kum yin lau

hi again, NEA is like the charge of the light brigade! Just returned from selling some shares.

It simply proves that buy and hold is better than buy and sell.

Ky

13. twisted strategies

*** I LOST the lot on 2 speculative penny dreadfuls which explains why I think I can write a book about them! ***

i could counter that with solid 'invest-able ' stocks like ARI( OST ) , AGO , MBN , BLY , HST and some other bigger names in earlier times .

you looked at QBE from the wrong angle ... it is in the gambling business ( insurance ) so is a large cap trading stock ( but suitable for investment if you can get a cheap entry point

i could never get my entry price for BOL ( but good for you on your success there )

i still hold TNE ( 'free-carried' ) a nice little gainer for me

IPL i dumped as soon as they started signing agreements with CTP .. i made a profit AND a lucky escape there .

i always knew i had to HURRY i needed an income fund by the start of 2020 ( i started at the end of 2010 ) and had to try to increase my asset base by roughly double ( triple to be comfortable ) at the same time .

life has thrown in some extra twists but i still have a chance at the ultimate goal

good luck yourself ( i have done very well in places and badly in others )

14. kum yin lau

Hi, 2020 means you have a rather short time but good luck to you.

I joined this forum from the property forum because I changed from property to shares mainly because I wanted more liquidity. Adelaide property hit a plateau that I am not very interested in.

I do regret selling the commercial properties. They were a steady income stream but as you say, curve balls and all that!

i'm sharing so much detail because I think Queensland on the other hand, may have more opportunities in property.

I got into sub-division and development very late in life so age is not a limiting factor.

Good luck,

ky

2 people like this.
  15. twisted strategies

shorter than that !

in January 2017 the government told me to STOP working , immediately and now pays me regularly to stay home .( diability pension )

the up side is i watch the market most of the day ( but anything is better than daytime TV )

Queensland has sovereign risk ( the government changes it's position more than the weather changes in Melbourne .)

and certain certifications ( especially regarding flooding ) are fantasy reading. ( asbestos free can be guess-work as well )

if looking at rural or country towns ( say mining areas ) there are possibilities

i was looking at the New England Tableland area ( Northern NSW ) but can no longer travel to personally eyeball the properties .

besides property needs to be held a minimum of 5 years in my opinion and i might not have 5 years left

at the moment EVERYTHING has ( excessive ) risk the best you can do is find adequate reward for the risk taken ( and that is not easy )

cheers

16. kum yin lau

Hi Tropo, I can attend to your reply now that I've divested all my ybr shares. I did see what you saw in the charts but my interpretation was a bit different. The trades under 10 cents weren't 'real'. Someone was interested in driving the price down.

I started buying in May and I actually bought 100000 shares at 8.7 cents.

Now I chastise myself for taking such a big risk.

I'm lucky I was able to sell ALL 600000 shares at 11 cents. I made less than I thought I would but it's still just under 20% For half a year, that is a substantial gain.

KY

2 people like this.
  17. twisted strategies

good on you for escaping with a profit ,

it is a tough climate to try to earn a living in

good luck with your learning curve

18. kum yin lau

Hi, thanks for your interest. I know I'm a very high risk 'investor'. I have a very varied experience of shares, property and forex. The trading bit is actually from the forex experience.

I look at PTL and it's right there, in front of our eyes. $220 dividend out of a 4K investment. And that's only 6 months. And then there's AMP. $3.08 (I actually bought at 3.03 and 3.04 which I subsequently sold)

The dividend yield in both cases is well above 7% with the chance of cap gain down the road too.

That is why I decided to sell the riskier shares and divert more into dividend yielding stocks.

I need to be more patient and hold longer.

Good luck to you,

KY

2 people like this.
  19. twisted strategies

don't be mistaken , my high-risk days were decades ago ( on the race -tracks ) ( so i wasn't always ultra-careful )

but now i can no longer work to replenish the cash reserves if things go wrong ( things like inaccurate data sources and just bad luck )

two problems loom the next market downturn and how long it will last .

of course you might have 2 or more major downturns ( and recoveries ) in your lifetime ,so your experiences can compound ( and hopefully your wins )

globally these are unusual ( economic ) times so everyone is liable to learn new lessons .

these are tough trading times ( look at the returns from the hedge-funds and active managers .. most are struggling to beat the market , some to even stay in business )

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia