Lending to a friend for offset account returns.

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by goponcho__, 6th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. goponcho__

goponcho__ Well-Known Member

So, i have a friend who has no PPOR, getting minimal interest in a savings account say 2.5% which is then taxed at 48.5%.

He is wanting to loan me money so i can sit it in my offset account against my PPOR, which has a interest rate of 4% currently. Would not have to pay tax on this return either as it is merely reducing interest payments.

From a tax perspective, is this fine for him to loan me say 100k, transfer account to account, and then i transfer him back a later date?

Do i need a loan agreement?

Please disregard issues with the inherent risk of my friends investment itself - eg unsecured loan, me leaving the country, me being sued.

Last edited by a moderator: 6th Feb, 2019
    2 people like this.
  2. goponcho__

goponcho__ Well-Known Member

Thinking more about this, would my friend have to pay tax on any amount he receives back in excess of the original loan principal????

2 people like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes it is fine. You don't need a loan agreement as you are the borrower, but he should certainly ask for one in case something happens.

If you pay him money for this it would be interest and taxable in his hands.

2 people like this.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.