tax on retirement income

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by D3xx, 19th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. D3xx

D3xx Well-Known Member

Say i'm 65yo and my $1M super balance earns $100k this financial year. How much tax is that $100k earning liable for? I ask because a workmate was arguing that tax is liable and I cant find a definitive article online to say one way or the other.

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

sorry , am on a disability pension ( and my portfolio balance is under $1 mill. but enough to dent that pension a little )

i will defer to a member with deeper experience in this area , i suspect it is complicated but maybe not as complicated as now the Franking credit policy change looks less likely

3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

What does it consist of? Dividends? Capital gains? Are they realised? Are there franking credits associated with the dividends?

You might not be liable for any additional tax or get a refund if the gains are mostly franked dividends.

Generally speaking 15% in accumulation phase is a short answer.

2 people like this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

could be 0%.

2 people like this.
  5. D3xx

D3xx Well-Known Member

Assume for this discussion that 100% of the earnings, which are drawn down by the pensioner, are from capital growth. No dividends. No FC considerations.

2 people like this.
  6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It is not a capital gains tax event unless the capital gain is crystalised - shares sold etc.
    If the shares are supporting a pension they are likely to be exempt from tax to the fund and once drawn it is also likely to be tax free to the member.

But not always.

2 people like this.