Cash & Bonds Investing for kids

Discussion in 'Other Asset Classes' started by mkbonline, 11th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mkbonline

mkbonline Well-Known Member

I am planning to start investing for my 7 year old daughter - for education etc...

Came across this article.

https://www.firstlinks.com.au/put-money-away-month-kids/

Both myself and spouse are at 45% tax bracket. Considering our income level and kid's age - is Investment bond best option? If yes - which Investment bond would you recommend? Barefoot investor mentions few of them - Lifeplan's NextGen , Generation Life's Imputation bond and AMP's Growth Bonds.

Appreciate your thoughts. Cheers, M

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

bond options at current rates ???

BEST OF LUCK ON THAT

but seriously , consideing the child's age , if you are brave ( bonds can implode as well ) look at a 10 to 15 year maturity date ( to give her a financial base as an early adult )

a TOUGH decision is fixed interest v. variable ( each has it's pros and cons )

my last remaining hybrid is a varible rate bank hybrid that is 'perpetual ' , meaning no fixed naturity date and i could very well have exited that by the end of the week ( the sale order is in the market at a set price ) ( i will crystallize , if sold , a 50% capital gain , i bought them in 2011 , and really the extra regularity risk possible of 'bail-in ' makes profit-taking more compelling , to me )

the question is where will interest rates go , and what will real inflation be like in 5 , 10 , 15 and 20 years ( and all my guesses at it have been wrong so far ).

far from safe is corporate debt ( but you really have to do your homework there , to understand completely what you are buying )

banks are facing 'bail-in laws , so probably avoid them ,
    my 2012 industrial bets are gone ( got taken over and profits crystalized ) and so have my healthcare bets .. HOWEVER RHC is still going and issues corporate debt ( just never at a price i found attractive ,)

RHCPA RAMSAY HEALTH CARE LIMITED TRANS PREF 6-BBSW+ 4.85% PERP SUB RED T-10-10 ( you are paying roughly $107 for a hybrid with a face value of $100 )

AGLHA AGL ENERGY LIMITED. HYBRID 3-BBSW+3.80% 08-06-39 SUB STEP T-06- ( although i have personal issues with AGL others have a different opinion ) ( matures in the middle of 2039 )

the one i really would have liked was corporate debt in FMG ( which was offered overseas , sadly ..)

https://www.asx.com.au/courses/inte..._Introduction_to_interest_rate_securities.pdf

try the above link for a start ( and please THINK about what you read as well )

the key factor in bonds is RISK vs REWARDS
    and the sagas in Greece and Cyprus re-wrote the rules on sovereign ( Treasury) debt so now i won't consider any sovereign debt yielding less than 6% per year .

that may seem harsh but the world is awash with debt may never be anle to be paid back ( national AND corporate )

but PLEASE ,PLEASE learn about this stuff completely before you part with cash .
    . Chicago is broke ( and probably Detriot ) Peuro Rico is broke ( a US protectorate ) half the EU is technically broke . goodness knows what the Australian balance sheet looks like ( ACTUALLY ) they can't even get the Census right

and all that is at historically low interest rates

3. mkbonline

mkbonline Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  4. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

if you have indentified an attractive product , have you talked to Vanguard directly , you might need to set up a trust ...

Low-cost managed funds | ETFs

i bought my Vanguard products on the ASX ( VAS and VHY )

but have heard Vanguard can be helpful to regular buyers ( i choose to time my infrequent buys so the ASX suits me nicely

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.