How much super is enough?

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by twisted strategies, 31st Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

How much super is enough?

goodness gracious !!

how long is a piece of string

we are in a low yield high risk world , what are the chances of the portfolio contracting sharply in the next 5 years ?

i yes how far

the magic of compounding only works well when you have dividends to reivest , and a dry patch ( no dividents or bond interest , is quite possible .

add in the risk of political meddling , and 'save as much as you can ' is about the only sound advice left

we are deep in uncharted territory , guessing is the dominant strategy , and yet you are expected to PLAN not gamble .. good game , good game

( anyone like to guess on the inflation in 10 years time ??? )

2 people like this.
  2. Terrence gardner

Terrence gardner New Member

Hi, I an 59 and will go into transition to retirement next year. I have planned for 1 million dollars of super on a 5% drawdown. My wife has an air b and b that brings $50,000 per annum, we intend to spend the entire super over 25 years. At 85 I guess our needs will be minimal and we don't have kids to leave anything too.

2 people like this.
  3. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

good luck , i hope your health holds up ( mine didn't )

watch out for regulation changes

cheers

4. AnthonyK

AnthonyK Active Member

The pollies say for us citizens $1.6 Million is heaps but for themselves about 5 million capital value Pension account. Miss Julia Gillard got almost 6 million of mostly taxpayers money. Her pension was around $200,000 plus inflation per year at age 55 with a life expectancy of maybe 35 years.

If you feel jealous at least its an honest emotion.

More importantly what did she achieve for us citizens?

Well she did impose a CO2 tax on us after saying: "There will be no carbon tax under the Govt. I lead!" on August 16th 2010 that's how she got the JULIAR tag in the Australian press.

The $1.6 million for us citizens is based on the pollies assumptions that we are much lesser value beings and only due to get 75% of an average Aussie salary regardless of what we actually achieve in life. So take advantage of all the InvestChat entrepreneurial ideas and accumulate with many, many millions!
    AnthonyK

2 people like this.