Sell & Buy in Trust ?Wash sale

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by goponcho__, 20th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. goponcho__

goponcho__ Well-Known Member

Quick one,

Have some VAS in personal name under my wifes name with a capital gain, but am looking at setting up a trust soon for asset protection mostly but also tax efficiency.

If i sell out of the VAS and then buy shortly after in a trust with me as the trustee, would this count as a wash sale under part IVA?? I could alternatively buy a similar low cost index if that would be better?

Thanks guys!!

2 people like this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Part IVA could potentially apply where it is a scheme with the dominant purpose of a tax saving.
    If you are selling in one entity and another entity is purchasing there may be other dominant reasons other than tax.

Also won't necessarily give you any extra asset protection - how is the trustee going to pay for the shares?

3. goponcho__

Thanks Terry.
    Selling from personal name, buying in trust with me as sole trustee but going to borrow from the both of us in order to debt recycle.
    Would this not provide protection if there are only shares in the trust?
    - if wife sued, unable to access trust assets as owned by trustee?
    - if me as trustee sued for a non-trust asset related reason, trust assets not at risk either

Thinking of alternatively leaving the parcel as is to avoid possible IVa risk, and just debt recycling with any further funds we have.

2 people like this.
  4. Terry_w

how will the trustee get the funds to purchase the shares? - It seems you and spouse will lend it to yourself?

Firstly you can't lend to yourself so be careful there, and secondly this loan will be your asset going forward.

If you are sued the asset (the loan) will fall into the hands of creditors
    If your wife is sued probably at least 50% of the loan would fall into the hands of creditors.

Seek legal advice, especially if the sums are high.

2 people like this.
  5. goponcho__

Hi Terry a couple of questions,

If i lend all the funds to the trust which then purchases shares, would this forfeit the dominant purpose being for asset protection in the eyes of the ATO? Would make it difficult to use a discretionary trust to debt recycle then, as the funds need to be loaned to make it tax efficient? (I understand that it will still be our asset, which introduces some risk in litigation)

Also, is there a time limit for it not to be a wash sale? Say my wife already has some investments, can i purchase further investments in the trust, then x months later sell my wifes investments?

Thanks very much!

o_O

6. Terry_w

If you lend money to a trustee which purchases assets there is still asset protection because any growth in those assets would not belong to you, but be held on trust. So if you are sued the loan still comes back to you and goes to creditors, but the equity may be safe.

No time limit for a wash sale, but the sooner it is the more likely it might be washing.

2 people like this.
  7. goponcho__

Thanks Terry - as always that clarifies everything

2 people like this.