Further invest or not?

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by RAR, 20th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RAR

RAR New Member

I have a question about how I should approach the following:

Two years ago (Oct 2017) I purchased 144,445 shares at $0.45 in a private wine trading company. Financials were as follows:
    • Current revenue $3.2M PA
    • Projected EBITDA $0.3M
    • Market cap $14M
    • Current share volume 45M
    A year and a half later, it became a bit of a mess due to poor governance and financial oversight. I don't think there were any acts of impropriety or wilful negligence, but likewise, I don’t believe that appropriate governance was maintained.

They had to do a debt restructuring, enter into debt conversion agreements, and issue new shares to raise capital. This caused the value per share to be reduced by a factor of 45 (shares are now being offered at $0.01), while my equity stake has been diluted by a factor of 3.

Anyway, they've cleaned up all the issues, there is much better financial oversight, and
    I have the opportunity to purchase shares at the $0.01 price. I'm willing to invest $5,000, but is there anything I can do to negotiate a better deal?

2 people like this.
  2. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Why do you believe this is a better opportunity than others?

A market cap of $14m with 45m shares outstanding should have been a price of 31.

2 people like this.
  3. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

welcome to InvestChat ,

did the company change ( any ) management ??

or will it after the cap. raising ?

often the underwrter of the cap. raise ends up with the biggest slice of the offered shares ( and gets seats on the board if it wants them )

SECONDLY will that forecast EBITDA include the inflows from the cash raising ( don't laugh i have seen it done before in an ASX listed company )

i suggest a DETAILED read of the prospectus ( maybe even twice or threes times .)

please think carefully

cheers

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice