SMSF and best use of funds if under 40yo

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by DomW, 16th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DomW

DomW Member

Hi,
    Novice here, so I'll do my best to articulate what info I'm after.
    I have a bank account in our SMSF name with surplus funds. We transferred our entire Hostplus super and created an SMSF to purchase a commercial property for our own business. We now have around 70k remaining in the account.
    Can we transfer that back to hostplus or is it better to buy some EFTs/shares from this bank account?
    Because we are under 65, can we access the dividends or do we have to wait till retirement?
    We are aiming to retire in 5 years so having the ability to access the passive income would be ideal but not essential.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your time,
    Dom

2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

welcome to InvestChat ,

i am NOT any sort of financial professional

but this is a concept you might like to consider

Dividend Reinvestment Plan—DRIP Definition
    (we call it DRP in Australia )

Dividend Reinvestment Plan (DRIP)

now some companies have extra options like 50% shares 50% cash it isn't always an 'all or nothing choice ( and each choice has flaws and benefits )

i like ETFs but i don't LOVE ETFs , they may not be you best choice i like LICs a tiny bit better ( but hold both ) each has their strengths and flaws , but prefer holding direct shares over funds managed by others

before sidelining your super fund entirely what extras are you paying for in your super fund ( do you say get real income protection insurance , etc. etc ) that might be worth the phone call . ( and might be worth keeping )

now personally i had the opportunity to liquidate my super ( and took it ) and now do NOT have a formal super fund at all but an investment portfolio ( which i can micro-manage as much as i like )

however a formal super fund might be better for you ( i just could see ever-changing rules on the horizon in 2010 , and thought stuff it i will fly by the seat of my pants )

cheers !!

3. Superman__

Superman__ Well-Known Member

Hi Dom,

Money in super - whether an SMSF or industry fund like Hostplus is still locked up until retirement - so no accessing any dividends etc.

If you move money back to Hostplus (or any other industry / retail super fund) you will be paying some fees in that fund as well as the SMSF, however the industry / return super fund will manage the portfolio on your behalf and there may also be some insurances attached to the industry fund account(s) which may have some value.

If you have some life / TPD insurances held and paid for from your SMSF already, then creating a more diversified portfolio in your SMSF (rather than just business property and cash) is definitely recommended.

If you had a couple of hundred thousand additional cash in the SMSF, I would recommend you see an adviser and have the put a portfolio together for you (i.e. personalised investment advice).

If you are under 40 you have 20+ years to retirement so ensuring your investment strategy is suitable is key. You can pick your own shares / ETFs or maybe even look at an automated solution like Stockspot or similar (I often recommend people run through the questionnaire process and receive the portfolio recommendation from an educational perspective).

Overall you need to run your super (long term investments) and business / personal (short/medium term investments) side by side.

Hope this assists.

2 people like this.