Buy and Hold – How Is That Working Out For You

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Tropo, 27th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

given the current collection of events .. better than i had hoped , but then i believe a second BIG leg down is in the near future ( before July 2021 ) .. that MIGHT take the smile off my face

i started in this investing game in 2011

and decided on WBC and MQG because i needed to force growth , MQG did better than i hoped and WBC hasn't broken my heart , yet , BUT i did have to adjust holdings to take advantage of market movements , in both

so 'buy and tinker might be more accurate for me

'set and forget ' wasn't working for me even in 2011 , i realized i had to carefully get interactive

but these are dangerous times , i am not willing to claim victory yet ( nor defeat )

3. GThomo

GThomo Member

I have done ok. I just have a few Vanguard index funds (VAS and VGS). They are down but slowly trying hard to fight back. What's the point in selling if you are going to lose? They had such a good run for such a long time and the companies they hold are all quality. I can't see them being down forever....

I am not "seeing a buying opportunity" like I see heaps of share people saying. I will keep pumping money into mortgages while rates are so low thanks.

2 people like this.
  4. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

i agree on paying off mortgages although people more clever than me seem to be taking out mortgages on new properties

i hold VAS ( and several smart beta ETFs among my very diverse portfolio ) and yes VAS has NOT been a failure despite the recent market uncertainty , but not cheap enough to tempt to add more either

VAS is up 33% on my buying price , currently

but unlike many members i might be dead or unable to directly control my holdings within the next 10 years . so i adjust while i can , rather than wait for compelling opportunities

so if this is a NASTY downturn the recovery might happen after i can make sensible adjustments , so i am taking out investment cash when sensible .. sure i will miss out in some big gains but i will have some cash reserves if the market melt' down properly in the next couple of years

while history suggests the markets will be propped up until the US Presidential election , the yield curve inversion suggests a major downturn before July 2021 , and BOTH events could happen singularly or in sequence.

good luck

there are some tough choices out there , it will very hard to be correct all the time