10 tips to protect your financial identity

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by Simon Hampel, 28th Feb, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Identity theft - Australian Securities and Investments Commission

2. their

their New Member

I would add that I often use google to reach sites, as scammers can capitilse on misspelled site names.

3. Waimate01

Waimate01 Well-Known Member

Here's a good one that dramatically increases your online safety: when logging on to a secured site, type the second half of your userid, then grab the mouse and click at the front of the input field and type the first half of your userid. Same with password if you like.

The idea is that villains often use keyloggers to intercept your keystrokes and send them back to the baddies lair. Once infected by a discrete virus, it's a trivial matter to intercept the url you are on and what you type. But intercepting mouse clicks and correlating them to what was visible on the screen at the point they occured is much harder. That's why it's important you use the mouse to return to the beginning of the input field and not just press the Home key.

For added security, dont go to the start of the input field, go one character in. Obviously you need to adjust your subsequent typing accordingly.

This is a very well worth thing to do if you are ever in a position where you have to log in on a public internet terminal (shudder), or even just a friend's computer. I now do it all the time.

4. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Great article and follow up tips. I now have my shredder working overtime :)