Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jason626

jason626 Member

if you come across 100k maybe from savings, inheritence, sold property etc., how would you spend/invest it and why? explain in detail please.:)

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

It depends.

Sorry, but it really does!

It depends on what your personal situation is, your goals, your risk tolerances and so forth.

What I would do with it if I was 21 is different to what I would do now and different again to what I would do if I was 60.

Right now, I would invest that money into my business - I think that is where I'll get the best long term returns from.

3. mm

mm New Member

Hi Jason626

Due to some inheritance from the sale of a property in the family, im going to be in a similar situation to your question. (i'm aware of how fortunate i am)

In terms of my position im early 20's, live with the parentals at the moment (will be renting soon with partner) and own my own car. I don't have any debt. I have about 20k in savings and 5k in shares. My goal this year is to put the 100k in a interest savings account and get my own savings up to 50k by the end of the year, then at that stage look at buying either an IP or a PPOR with the 100 or so as a deposit and use 30 or so on shares or a managed fund and keep 20k in cash. I wouldn't put the 100 into shares as i like the idea of property, which is just a personal thing i guess, and is just due to my circumstances.

In terms of IP or PPOR first im not sure as its still down the track and i haven't looked into everything.

But im still all relatively new to this and still have a lot of reading to do, so it probably isn't that helpful. but best of luck, its not a bad decision to have to make!

4. Intellikev

Intellikev Active Member

Hi Jason626, when you get it stick it in a term deposit for 30 days! Make it so you cannot access these funds therefore removing the temptation to live it up. Whilst it is out of your reach do as Sim suggests sit down and consider where you are at in your life and what you want to achieve with this windfall. A 100k now can make your future easier if invested wisely. Seek advice and be a sponge. Absorb as much as you can before you make the decision.

5. jason626

jason626 Member

be a sponge i like that hahah, i want to invest my 100k or at least a large chunk into a high profiting business. or put it into ppor and borrow for the business which is obvoiusly better but harder to do. :)

6. piersw

piersw New Member

where to?

As mentioned earlier, all depends on your risk tolerence etc. I too would love to put money into a high profiting business.. if you find one let me, and all the others looking for one, know about it...

you are in a position with time on your hands. Also dependant on what you earn as well. As an IP will give you good tax benefits, growth and the oppurtunity to re-borrow down the track to re- invest.

buying a PPOR, also good to create your personal wealth. Maybe though at the moment, while young, you may want to grow outside of that so you can leverage etc. remembering deductabl and non-deductable debt.

Also, analysis paralysis.... dont get bogeed down with too much info.

Being structured correctly is also important...

email me if you would like further information.