Managed Funds 1st Quarter Distribuition

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by hillsguy, 29th Aug, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

It would also require an updated PDS/compliance etc.

2. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"One of the traders in one of the 'Market Wizards' books (the Black guy fom New York as I recall, if it isn't politically incorrect to say so) uses it ."

He is not the only one.
    Do not forget that options are different instrument to trade which requires different strategies and techniques like futures or currencies. NI Fund is set to trade Stock Market - not options.
    :rolleyes:

3. jenpalex

jenpalex Active Member

I don't see how this necessarily increases risk.
    Suppose the Fund has bought 1000 shares at $50 and the algorithm tells you that you you would sell 900 of them at $100. Then you sell a call option for 900 shares at $100. Either the shares reach $100 during its duration and you get called in which case you have sold the amount of shares at the target price you would have sold them on the market. Or the share doesn't reach $100: you don't sell the shares and pocket the fee.

jenpalex

4. jenpalex

jenpalex Active Member

I can't see what's predictive about it. You only sell to the option buyer what you would otherwise have sold to a buyer on the Market.

jenpalex

5. jenpalex

jenpalex Active Member

If the strategy proved to add to returns, changing the PDS wopuld surely be worthwhile

6. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting Sim :)

On the Subject of NI

I thought the more movement in the Market the better for the system which would've been great of late?

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

In theory, yes ... but what the system really needs is high volatility - and even though on the surface it looks like things have been volatile lately ... in reality the movement's aren't that big - not big enough for a "wow" quarter anyway I suspect. Happy to be surprised though !

8. Dr Lobster

Dr Lobster Well-Known Member

I don't want to start another thread so I'll ask my question here.

At what point in time must I hold navra mgd fund units to be entitled to the distribution ?

9. Simon Hampel

Distributions are calculated on holdings at the end of the last day of the quarter.

You can buy on the last day of the quarter and still get the full distribution (but your holdings will fall in value by the amount of the distribution, so all you're really doing is converting your equity to income, which you will then pay tax on).

10. Bob__

Bob__ Well-Known Member

More distribution talk

Sim,

So if I purchase more units on 01 Oct, does that mean the unit price will be the price as is reflected after the distribution or is it the price of the units up until the distribution is distributed ie usually around the 12th of the month

Thanks

Bob

11. Simon Hampel

Correct.

There are actually two unit prices for Sept 30:

1. the unit price at the end of day, Sept 30, pre-distribution calculation
    2. the unit price after distributions have been calculated (which will be lower)

On October 1, it is this second, lower unit price that is used to calculate the application price for new investments.

The calculation is always as of the last day of the quarter - even though payment comes a 10-14 days later ... that's just administrative lag.

12. Dr Lobster

Dr Lobster Well-Known Member

Thanks Sim.

These will be long term holdings, the acquisition of such will just happen to be around now.

13. Simon Hampel

Yeah, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter when in the month you invest ... over time it all kinds of evens itself out.

14. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

Dr Lobster you might consider the tax implications of a dividend distribution. You are churning capital into income potentially if you invest just before a distribution is due. One issue to seek pro advice on perhaps.

Yeh it's interesting how much attention the NI fund attracts, for a fund that is one of many thousands it sure attracts a lot of attention from me and others, could be the forums we hang out at though :)

** edit, yeh Sim already mentioned that.

15. artgul

artgul Well-Known Member

Hi Sim,

Since Navra Funds are invested only in Blue ship companies, would you expect more volatility than the one is currently happening?. Would that be a realistic expectation?.

One of the shares in the Navra AUS portfolio is NAB. I think last closing price for NAB was $36. In order for the Fund to make money with NAB, how much volatility does it have to show in the 3 months between distributions?.

I'm putting this example because I've thinking about it latly. The index has been moving between the late 4k and early 5k all along this quarter but, I see my investment getting backwards...:confused:

Am I missing something???:eek:

Rgds,

artgul

16. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Artgul I can't speak for NI, but here's what they say in the most recent article on the website:

My emphasis.

Remember the minimum suggested investment term is 5 years...

Cheers
    N.​

17. gekko_99

gekko_99 Member

Resources seem to have come of the boil in recent weeks and have been reasonably volatile over the last few months. I imagine unless Navra is invested with a similar weighting to these stocks as the ASX it may have missed out on the volatiliy in that sector.

18. hillsguy

hillsguy Well-Known Member

Any ideas on dividends for this quarter ? anyone ?

19. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Somewhere between 1 and 1.5 % is my guesstimate.
    The US Fund - maybe between 2.5 and 3 % possibly.

20. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

What still confuses me a bit, if I understood right, is that the NavTrade system loves volatility and doesn't suit a constantly rising or falling (I assume) market.

At Steve's last presentation I attended, he mentioned the last 2 years the market had a period of unprecedented upward movement.

At the same time, NI has returned roughly 20% p.a (or double the 10% used as the conservative estimate in any of the Navra seminar figures).

So I don't get why the fund did so well at a time when the market conditions shouldn't have suited it, and seems a bit slow at the moment when there is a bit of volatility ?

On top of that the US Fund where the volatility is supposedly ideal for NavTrade, had a bit of a backwards start but seems to be going up now.

So I have no problem being in it for the long term and surviving troughs and enjoying the peaks, but the question of where volatility really benefits NavTrade seems to me to be a bit different in theory versus practice ?

Any help appreciated ... ;-)

Cheers
    Carl

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.