Managed Funds 1st Quarter Distribuition

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by hillsguy, 29th Aug, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Who says it hasn't done well ? I suggest we wait and see what the distribution is first before we judge the performance of the quarter.

2. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Whether it has done well or otherwise, I'm wrapped with the funds performance for my needs to date. But judging by the feedback here, there's plenty of people concerned about the recent volatility in the unit price, let alone volatility in the share market. I'm not so worried about this quarter's distribution, I was asking why the theory about NavTrade doesn't seem consistent with the way the fund performs in certain market conditions.

3. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

According to this link
    2005 2006 Market Performance

the S&P/ASX200 accumulation index was 24.1% last financial year.

Altho the NI fund is measured against the S&P/ASX200 price index (which by the look of it was 18.1% last financial year).

There were a number of funds that performed in the mid 20%'s last year...

So you could say NI underperformed the market. But on the other hand it produced strong income distributions in a market for which it is not theoretically suited (i.e. a lower volatility market). Will we see better performance in a more volatile market...time will tell.

Cheers
    N.

4. Simon Hampel

Just FYI ... I've posted the performance of various funds over the last quarter: here

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Oct, 2006
  5. Jenny__

Jenny__ Well-Known Member

I have spoken to Therese at Navra this am - distribution for aust. retail fund is 2.2cents per unit.

6. Simon Hampel

Thanks Jenny ... that's what everyone else should have done :D

7. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

Whats that in a percentage? About 2%?

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Oct, 2006
  8. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

To save us all contacting NavraInvest, has anyone already heard what happened with the US Fund Distribution?

9. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

No?

Ok......I just rang.

US Distribution will be 1.1 cents per unit.

10. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Now where's the Fun, Suspense, Rumour and Gossip possibilities in that scenario :confused:

11. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

Hi, Sim,
    To save overloading the Navra switchboard with the same enquiries at this stage each quarter, why is it not possible for the distribution rates to be published 'first' on this website by someone from NavraInvest?
    I was under an impression that this site was in some way connected to the Navra group.
    Can you please clarify, Sim?
    Thanks
    Jayar

12. Simon Hampel

That is entirely possible ... I suggest you ask NavraInvest to do this.

No.

The only connection is indirect - Steve is one of the directors of InvestEd, and some of us are shareholders and unitholders as well ... there is no formal connection between NavraInvest and InvestEd.

Any requests for NavraInvest action will need to go to NavraInvest directly.

13. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Sim,

The distribution has no relationship at all with the fund's performance for the quarter. Why do you look at the distribution as a measure of its performance? Its performance is simply calculated. Take the opening unit price and compare it to the closing unit price. Did it beat your cost of capital and did it beat the ASX200 benchmark index? How much it pays as a distribution is in no way correlated to its performance over the period.

Cheers,
    Michael.

14. Simon Hampel

I disagree :D

Your measure of "performance" depends on your reasons for investing in that fund.

I'm investing in the Navra funds over a long period of time for a goal of 10%+ income per year. I'm not in it for growth.

A distribution of 1.1% for the US and 2% for the Australian Wholesale fund is not quite close enough to my quarterly goal of 2.5%, so by my books, they have underperformed. But not for the same reasons you mentioned.

Watching the unit price daily (or quarterly) on a long term INCOME investment is not very useful in my opinion.

15. MichaelW

Sim,

If you give me $100K I promise to pay you a 20% distribution each year for four years! I'll pocket the $20K left over and you'll be very happy right.

You can't look at the distribution as a proxy for performance. Basic financial modelling suggests performance is entirely a factor of actual return achieved over the investment period. The distribution is not the return, it is a payment of funds out of the investment vehicle. You must look at actual return if you are to measure the performance of your investment vehicles dispassionately.

I like a nice big distribution too, but this period its coming out of retained earnings, not out of profit over the period. The fund has made a loss and is chewing into its equity to meet its distribution objectives.

I like the fund too, but not because of the size of its distributions. I like it because its been making me money. i.e. Its been beating my cost of capital over the long term. This period it cost me money, it was a very BAD period. But hey, I've got a long term investment horizon so take the good with the bad. But if it keeps losing me money I'll be forced to re-assess it as an investment option.

Cheers,
    Michael.

16. Simon Hampel

I think your example is a little out of context. Of course, I am aiming for capital preservation (and perhaps even a little growth if things go well) over the long term ... so I would expect to be able to get my $100K back some time in the future IF I need it. I expect the fund to do this.

Right now, despite this "BAD" period we've had (as you called it), my funds are worth a whopping 1.1% less than I paid for them. Obviously I'm not too concerned about that when my investment timeframe is measured close to decades, and I've made well over 20% income in the time I have been invested.

Why not ? Distribution is the realised profits from the investment. Anything else is unrealised and intangible (it's nice that margin lenders will let you borrow against unrealised gains - but they'll also take it away again just as quickly if those gains disappear). You can't take distributions away - they are locked in.

Of course the distribution is the return. It is the payment of profits from the fund. If an investment vehicle had a buy-and-hold-and-never-sell strategy, then the distribution would be the payment of dividends that the underlying shares earned. That's definitely a return.

There are two performance factors in every investment - income and capital growth. These can both be considered a "return" - but one (income) is tangible and the other (capital growth) is intangible until realised.

When you say "return", you seem to be completely discounting income and focussing 100% on capital growth.

When I say "return" I'm focussing 100% on income and discounting capital growth - at least for the NavraInvest funds (although I'll gladly take some growth if I can get it).

For my other fund investments that are more growth oriented, my focus is on both income and capital growth.

I know what you are saying - but I disagree with your terminology.

The distribution is coming out of TRADING PROFIT. At the same time, the underlying value of the shares has dropped and hence the unit price is lower than it was at the start of the period. I say this is still profit that is paying for the distribution - even if thre is a drop in capital value that accompanies it. It is quite possible to have both - just ask the ATO :rolleyes:

If you were to sell your units at a lower unit price than you have paid for them, then you have realised a capital loss. But when considering overall returns, this must be offset by the income you have received from the investment during the holding period.

No, the fund has made an UNREALISED CAPITAL LOSS, but is distributing TRADING PROFITS.

Okay let's look at it this way (these are REAL numbers, not examples) ...

I hold 430661.5332 units in Navra AUS Wholesale.

The ex-distribution unit price at Jun 30 was 1.0947

This values my holdings then at $471,445.18

The ex-distribution unit price at Sep 29 was 1.0747 (my calculation - waiting on confirmation of exact figure from NavraInvest)

This values my holdings then at $462,831.95

So I have made an unrealised capital loss of $8,613.23 during the quarter.

But I received a distribution of 2.2c per unit or $9474.55 for the quarter.

Thus, my net position is that I have actually made a total return of +$861.32 for the quarter.

Now let's look at overall returns ... this gets into slightly theoretical territory because it's not possible to work out the exact margin cost of an individual fund in a multi-fund portfolio.

In my personal case, I have geared to approximately 57% during the quarter (fluctuates, so I'll take an average) ... thus about $268,723.75 of that money is borrowed. My interest rate for the quarter was (on average), about 9.05%. Thus I put 92 days worth of interest for the quarter at approximately $6,129.85.

Hence, my overall return from my investment for the quarter is $861.32 - $6,129.85 = -$5,268.52 .

This represents a -1.12% fall in the overall value of my holdings over the quarter, taking into account expenses.

I'm not getting that upset about a -1.12% fall in value. If it were 10 times higher, I might be more concerned.

Let's put it in context though.

If I had not borrowed that $268,723.75, my ungeared investment would be worth, about $202,721.43 at the begining of the quarter and worth $199,017.74 at the end of the quarter, a loss of $3,703.69. But I would have made approx $4,074.06 in distribution, so my overall position would be +370.37 ahead at the end of the quarter.

But that's only 0.18% increase over my starting value despite not having any interest costs.

Between ungeared and geared returns over the last quarter, there's a difference in return of only -0.93%, or $930 per $100,000 invested.

So, the cost of capital is overrated :D

17. MichaelW

Sim,

This is the number I'm wating on too. If I use your estimation and add back the 2.2c distribution then the actual performance numbers look like this:

Opening value: 1.0947
    Closing value: 1.0967 (1.0747 + 0.0220)

Return for the period: 0.18% (0.73% annualised)

Now that at least is a positive return which is more than I was stating previously. I haven't tracked the closing unit price for a few days as I've been on a residential, but a positive return is a better outcome than I was anticipating for a while there.

But, it still doesn't beat my cost of capital. I'm fully leveraged at 100% borrowed funds, at an average cost of capital of 7.1% pa.

If I look at my return for the period it works out as follows:

Opening value of investment: $570,676.96
    Closing value of investment: $571,719.58
    Investment profit over the period: $1,042.62

Interest charge over the period: $10,272.19

Net investment profit over the period: -$9,229.57 ($1,042.62 - $10,272.19)
    Net return for the period: -1.61% (-6.46% annualised)

So, in Q1 2007 my investment return, net of interest charges, is -1.61% or -$9,229.57.

Even if I hadn't borrowed any money, I'd still be dissappointed in a 0.73% annualised ROI. That's below the risk free rate of return achievable on government bonds. I take on extra risk by investing in equities in anticipation of extra returns. Its just that the extra risk is a double-edged sword. This quarter it didn't pay off and I got burnt. But so far, I'm still ahead of my personal cost of capital and am very happy with my Navra performance to date.

You've got to learn to take the good with the bad. :D

Cheers,
    Michael.

18. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

Everything Michael said in his (second) last post is 100% factually accurate. He beat me to the publish with his very last post.

You can look at distribution as a proxy for performance, but it would be a very poor measure for the Navra fund imo. The distribution appears to be a number around the arbritrary 2.5% mark (10% income p/a) +/- some topping based on the funds performance for the quarter; chosen by one of the fund administrators based on the funds stated goals. The distribution simply comes out of total fund value at end of quarter as MW indicates. A very good measure of performance would be the unit price! (At all times this is the best measure)

I believe the VAMI accounting measure is used for the fund, but I am certain that at any one time the unit price represents total value.

Total fund value is not intangible, unless you are of the mind that you never have a loss or profit until you sell, which is simply baloney anyhow. There was a fund manager who repeated the wonderful cliche 'It's not a loss until you sell' as he held Enron all the way down (From 'Trend Following' by M. Covell). Using the ATO's definition of a loss or gain is not a good measure either. Telstra share holders pay tax on their divs as their shares falls in value.

Sim I can't quite work out from what you wrote whether you are agreeing with MW esentially and arguing the same thing at cross purposes, or you don't understand the nature of where your distribution is coming from. The distribution is coming out of fund value (unit price), whether thats cash holdings or whatever, how the fund value was increased (trade or hold or arbitrage or fixed interest or...) or lowered is of no relevance to the unit holders eventual outcome. There are issues such as franking credits and other tax matters which might be of concern to the fund, but they really aren't to the unit holder who's only concern should be the unit price.

I think we will discuss this further perhaps Sim, I agree with MW if he is saying that he is thinking 100% CG and you are thinking 100% income though. Income is very much a subset and dependant on CG! You can convert CG into income easy enough (- buy/sell spread) but good luck doing that the other way round as a fund investor. MW's example of give him 100k and he will pay you 20% distributions (guaranteed!) is a bit extreme, but a useful enough example perhaps, income doesn't grow on trees after all.

Because our brains are very bad at thinking at things like this I was trying to come up with a good analogy, the best I can do is this: Perhaps it's best to think of the Nav fund as a buy and hold fund, except speeded up. The only way your unit value will ever go up is CG which comes from share appreciation and divs and money earnt on cash holdings (no short positions, hedging.. just plain vanilla share appreciation). I think perhaps the mech trading idea could be confusing some issues.

Anyhow more food for thought hopefully :)

19. Simon Hampel

Just a couple of things (changing the topic here) ... I don't think it's fair to forward project an annualised return (regardless of how good or bad it makes the end point look) ... one quarter doth not an annual make :D

I also think the language you use is selling yourself short. Purely from a psychological point of view - I think you need to be a bit careful. "I got burnt", "it was a very BAD period", "the fund is going backwards", "the fund is definately headed south" are some of the phrases you've used recently. I think this over-dramatises the actual situation - especially over such a short period of time.

Now, if we were referring to the performance of the CFS Global Resources Fund, I think they would be appropriate phrases (25.8% drop from peak in May to low in September :eek: ) !!

You may now feel free to accuse me of "seeing the world through rose coloured glasses", or of "spreading marketing spin", but I will of course reserve the right to deny this vigorously :D

PS. I enjoy these discussions Michael - it's good to have a robust debate ... makes us think very carefully about whether our arguments really do hold water.

20. MichaelW

Fair cop gov'ner. :D

I intentionally use colourful language to try and interject some drama into the discussion. :eek: Might need to scale it back a bit... Of course, I personally am still delighted (oops maybe too colourful) with my Navra performance to date! I just like to paint as accurate a picture of performance as possible and not get too hung up in the self-validating spin that we can fall victim to if we're not vigilent. I see this particular period as an sub-par one and would like to paint that picture accurately.

I use annualised numbers not to project a hypothetical annualised outcome, but to have a common base of reference with such things as my annual interest cost. I'm not suggesting that these annaulised performance numbers are what you can anticipate out of the fund in any given 12 month period.

I too enjoy the discussion and have learnt quite a bit out of it, particularly around the terminology employed. I'm a simple man and don't normally get too hung up on whether its a capital gain or capital growth... ;)

Cheers mate,
    Michael.