1st time caller....

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Sunstoke, 8th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sunstoke

Sunstoke New Member

Hey Everyone :)

Just joined up tonight, found this place via Google search, looks like an interesting place to ask questions & learn.

I am looking at setting up a SMSF & investing my current Super money into precious metals for the time being.

The investment / management side is new to me, however I am ready to jump in & take responsibility for my financial future rather than have someone else dictate my financial outcomes.

What do I need to do in regards to setting all this up? Obviously I need to choose a SMSF, a PM broker, a storage facility, then a yearly audit. What other requirements do I need to be aware of - both financially, legally & tax wise?

Thanks in advance!
    Tim

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

First thing would be to read the SIS Act and its regulations. This may be a bit complex so start with a good book on SMSFs and look at the legistation as it is mentioned.

Then go and get some financial advice.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Hi @Sunstoke - approximately how much will you have to invest in your SMSF?

The costs of administration and compliance can be prohibitive for smaller balances.