Managed Funds Charting funds

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by TryHard, 8th Jan, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Sim' ...

we have been thinking of putting some money in Colonial and Platinum - is there a site that charts the unit prices along the lines of Navra Invest - ie. is it possible to tell whether we are buying at a peak or trough in unit prices for these funds easily ?

Ta
    Carl

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I haven't seen a site that does charting of funds well. I'm thinking of setting one up myself ... I have done some basic charts for my own personal use - I'd just need to automate them more (more options and such).

However, I'm yet to find a cost effective source of reliable historic data ... at the moment I'm pulling it directly from each fund manager - which is a pain to set up and automate.

Until I have something online for everyone to use, tell me which funds (give me an APIR) and what time periods you'd like to see and I'll post a screenshot. I've got my system set up to build charts for "last 30 days", "this financial year", "last 12 months", "last 2 years", "last 3 years", "last 5 years" and "since inception" (I'm not going to post them all !!!).

3. Simon Hampel

By the way - you can see charts of the funds on each fund managers websites ... both Platinum and CFS do it ... but they aren't that detailed I find.

4. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

What are you writing the charting program in? Excel?

5. Simon Hampel

Nope - it's web based, using flash charting ... all dynamically generated and automatically updated.

6. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

logarithmic scaling at y-axis?

7. Simon Hampel

Can be done - but I found the results to be less than satisfying, so I generally don't bother. I just take that into account when looking at the longer term charts.

If you are using the charts to just compare between funds or to compare against an index or against a MAV, then it doesn't really matter whether you go logarithmic or not in my opinion.

8. TryHard

Hey Sim' - wow ! my own thread ! finally I find a thread-worthy question ;-)

The funds I'd been considering were :

Colonial Global Resource fund

Colonial Geared Share Fund

Platinum International

Platinum Asia

Any and all help appreciated :D (targetted at the lowest common denominator ;-) )

Cheers
    Carl

9. sbaker

sbaker Member

Have you looked into other Asia funds or are you just interested in the Platinum one? ... ive just been researching asian funds the last few days and look at that fund, the Challenger China Share and Asian Share Funds, BT Asian Share Fund and the ING Global Emerging Markets Fund.
    The BT Fund has proven returns over the long term (7+yrs), the Challenger fund is quite new but has huge returns up around 50%pa so far and the ING Fund is really diverse arcoss asia (48% allocation) and other emerging economies (47% allocation)...

What are you after?

10. TryHard

Hi SBaker (and welcome :) )

I'm pretty dull on the sharemarket side of things, and at a personal level pretty over-exposed to residential investment property (and comfortable with the over exposure :p).

Our SMSF does the sharemarket thing, mainly in NavraInvest and previously in some direct investments.

I'm looking to diversify the Super Fund, domestically, and without massive risk, gaining exposure to overseas markets. The funds I mentioned were basically recommended by trusted referrers :)

So in my role of one of the trustees of the Super Fund I'd like to do the due diligence, but its not easy to find the data if its not your area of expertise, so I'd like to make sure we buy in when the value proposition is best.

The charts Sim' mentioned sound like what I was looking for from the various fund managers websites.

For all the comments about NavraInvest, good and bad, one thing they do really well is historical and current data via the website. I suppose I'm trying to find similar info (unit price history, performance history etc) for the other funds and alternatives, if that makes sense.

Cheers
    Carl

11. Simon Hampel

In case you can't find the data you want on the fund manager websites, or you don't like their charts - here are some screen captures of my basic charts (still in development, so a little rough in layout).

Note that all charts are NOT logarithmic - so the higher you go, the steeper the lines get ... you need to take this into account when interpreting the slope of the lines near the top of the graph - they look steeper than they really are.

Assumption is that all distributions are reinvested (which is the standard method for generating such charts).

Click on each chart to go to the photo gallery where you can view a larger version:

CFS Global Resources (FSF0041AU) - 1 year:
    [​IMG]
    (note the very sharp drop-off in the last few days - resources stocks have been hammered.

CFS Global Resources (FSF0041AU) - 5 year
    [​IMG]

12. Simon Hampel

CFS Geared Share Fund Chart - 1 year:
    [​IMG]

CFS Geared Share Fund Chart - 5 year:
    [​IMG]

13. Simon Hampel

Platinum International Chart - 1 year:
    [​IMG]

Platinum International Chart - 5 year:
    [​IMG]

14. Simon Hampel

Platinum Asia Chart - 1 year:
    [​IMG]

Platinum Asia Chart - since inception (actually only about 3.5 years, fund was launched in March 2003)
    [​IMG]

15. TryHard

Wonderful ! Thanks Sim !! :)

16. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

Sim,

Excellent work.

I tried extracting data out of Hunter Hall regarding their funds, it's all freely available on their website, only problem is that it's done 30 periods at a time over thousands of different pages.... Which is a data scraping task far beyond my skills.

17. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Andrew

If you call Hunter Hall's investor services they might be able to email you the unit prices on a .csv or .xls file. I haven't tried, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

18. Simon Hampel

Glebe - the trick is to automate it so it all updates by itself !

19. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Yep yep agreed - but I wasn't sure if Andrew was after something one-off or not.

20. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

Auto updating would be nice.

I was after one off and phoned HH, and told they couldn't supply that data other than the website, probably I should try again one day and talk to someone different.