What other forums do you use?

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by islandgirl__, 8th Feb, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. islandgirl__

islandgirl__ Well-Known Member

Just curious as to what other investing forums people use. I regularly visit propertyinvesting and somersoft and of course here. There are a couple of other smaller ones I've found but I would be interested in seeing what else is out there worthwhile.

2. Andrew G

Andrew G Well-Known Member

Only the other two that you mentioned, and unfortunately this one doesn't seem to have many posts at all really. Somersoft is very good, lots of activity, but purely property based. I've looked for other managed fund forums but yet to discover anything. It seems people are a little nervous about telling you much on here - general tips are very good, and the knowledge some of these guys have is very useful - just don't dig much :rolleyes:

Andrew.

3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I mainly visit here and somersoft as I feel they apply to me and the knowledge base of the other Forumites is great (I'm always learning something)

Though have a look at PropertyTalk, Reno Kings and RichMastery, Aussie StockForum from time to time to see whats being discussed

I dont visit PI.COM as often nowadays, though there are some great people on the Forum

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Andrew - this forum is quite young compared to several of the other forums out there (Somersoft has been around for 5+ years already, we are only about 18 months old here). The post volume is growing - as is the membership base, quite rapidly now.

It will get there - just need a bit more time.

Not sure what you mean by the "just don't dig much" comment ? Is there something specific you are having an issue with ?

5. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

This forum is unique in that it caters to the two main and most popular forms of investments in this country- shares and property. And, as Sim as pointed out, we are only relatively young as far as forums go. Wish I could say the same about my seemingly rapidly aging self :D

I visit lots of interesting sites, and have discovered some gems of forums- not all property or shares related either :) The British Expats site is really good fun, especially the Aussie section, and I love providing the benefit of my own experiences as an Australian to those considering coming here to live or holiday. My English pal put me onto it, as there was a question he thought I could answer well, and since then I've become partially addicted to yet another forum (this really is a sickness!! :D ;) )

6. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Somersoft
    skateboard.com.au
    Soulseek (file sharing program)
    Melvins (band) occasionally
    VLV (collector scum related) note: collector scum refers to the nickname given to people who collect punk and hardcore records

Mark

7. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I think Somersoft is (generally) very good but I always felt it was somewhat lacking in being primarily Property based. Also some of the 'politics' got tiring... :rolleyes:

This is where InvestEd has really grabbed the bull by the horns.Yes it is new but it tries to cover the full spectrum of investing. If 'Porkbelly Futures' became a big interest I'm sure there'd be a good chance of another Section being added. :D

While I'm sure the depth of investment knowledge input will only increase, the site also has some great experience from people who have not only been longterm members of on-line Foruns, but also people like Sim who has the 'backend' technical smarts to provide an excellent product.

Forums get a 'feel' and a 'smell'......

InvestEd 'feels' and 'smells' good to me so far and I would agree the future looks bright.

All the best.

:)

8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You like that smell ? ... and I haven't even had a shower yet today* !

mmm, then again ... maybe you came in soon after Jacque had been through ... always like a breath of fresh air when she's around :D

Anyway, thanks for the kind words Alan !

Now, if my investments will hurry up and get me to the point of being able to ditch my day-job, I'll have more time to do many more cool and useful things with the site :rolleyes:

* I actually did have a shower this morning, but the story sounded better the other way

9. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

You're probably right Sim.....

I'm sure that wasn't your perfume I smelt.:p :D

10. islandgirl__

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. Mark, my husband will love the VLV stuff. He is definately into all that stuff.

Cheers

11. iiinvestor

iiinvestor Well-Known Member

AndrewG: I know where you're coming from, but it's the members that fuel discussion. Say something profound or bring up a topic of interest and you'll get a much more focussed and unbiased response here. Sure it can be slow at times, but (and I never thought I'd be so ...) it's about quality not quantity.

Seriously, throw it out there; what are your ideas? What do you think is wrong with popular opinion? Revisit the fundamentals and pull the basics apart. Compare asset classes, give direct property a hard time, get excited about listed private equity, ask about legal structures, tell us about the companies you've invested in, debate the merits of investment styles, bring up the often forgotten merits of thrift, etc, etc, etc.

The floor is yours (and mine); it's up to us to make this a valuable forum.

12. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

Well said iiinvestor!

13. Andrew G

Andrew G Well-Known Member

G'day iiinvestor,
    I agree completely in that it is the forum members who make or break the forum. The collective information and experience the forum members have is the only asset the forum has, without the people, it is nothing.

I've already thrown some stuff out there. In fact my thread titled "Nervous Start" has generated the most responses since Nov-06 !!!

I'm starting a new thread called "Where are you at, and where do you want to go?" - hopefully this will generate some more interaction. I only joined this forum 3 weeks ago, and already I'm on the 4th page of highest posters!?

Andrew.

14. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

15. islandgirl__

Thanks all for your replies. Redwing your list looks pretty good and I'm off to have a sticky beak now.

Its great to be able to get other people's thoughts and opinions. Which is why I like forum's so much. Every now and then you get hold of an idea which will work for you and that you haven't though of before.

Cheer all