Managed Funds Income Funds

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by TwoDogs, 30th Sep, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

Most folks here are propably into Navrainvest because the income fund is part of our stucture and a safe(ish) way to get income from equities. As cool as it is, I can't have all my non IP investment in one fund, that would not be a good structure.

What over other funds do people favour for income ? I've looked at listed and unlisted property funds such as those from CFS, AXA and Macquarie, which are interesting but still slightly high priced like the sharemarket.

2. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I'm with:

Navra wholesale 41%
    Platinum International 10%
    Tyndall Australian Share Portfolio 10%
    UBS Property Security Fund 14%
    Vanguard Hedged International 10%
    Vanguard Property Security 10%

The UBS one seems to be providing VERY healthy dividends.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Is it possible for you to give some sort of indication as to the % returns you're getting from some of those funds Glebe ?

4. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I don't really know the returns myself. I'll try to find out and get back to you. I suspect the Navra is the best performing of the lot.

5. mikhaila

mikhaila Member

I use for income in addition NI:

- Vanguard Property Sec Fund (minimal admin, quartely distr.)
    - Perpetual's W/S Indust Fund ( half yearly distr.)

Also I have for CG:

Platinum International Brands (annual distr.)
    Platinum Japan Fund (annual distr.)

6. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

Mikhaila,

What sort of % distribution are you getting on Vangaurd and perpetual? Anywhere close to NI?

MJK :)

7. mikhaila

mikhaila Member

Well, it is pretty difficult to bit NI in terms of pure distributions :) as NI distributes all profits quarterly. I’ve just run the report and here is the total return picture for the last 6 months:

NI total return 12.71% (right now the report shows 47.07% of it is income and the rest is growth. It will be close to 100% income soon :eek: )

Vanguard total return is 9.84% (44.65% of it is income)

Perpetual total return is 10.93% (87.48% of it is income)

Platinum Japan total return is 19.03% (13.21% of it is income)

Platinum Int. Brands total return is 14.31% (50.96% of is income)

:D

8. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

Thanks Mikaila, :D

I am interested to hear about income funds for diversification though. I like to get my capital growth with direct property. I love to hear of any other income funds that distribute 10% or more pa.

MJK :)

9. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

Me too :rolleyes: I have conflict each night when considering my financial planning. On one hand, more Navra which is working well and fits my requirements, but on the other a little spreading of risks over different companies/markets.

10. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

Looks like there is no such thing? Well done Steve Navra, your out there on your own! ;)

MJK

11. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

"Income" funds tend to invest in assets like cash, bonds, mortgages and such. Returns are generally lower. They are designed for people who want a stable and pretty secure income from a large asset base.

I don't think there's much out there that compares to NavraInvest, although there might be some funds around that distribute pretty good dividends, which might be worth looking at.

12. Rick__

Rick__ Well-Known Member

Why not steer away from funds and invest directly in solid companies that regularly pay high dividends. A lot of these dividends can be fully franked as well. I aim for 5% across the portfolio but with as much growth as possible.

I dumped all my fund investments a few years ago and went to direct shares. One of the highest performers in those direct shares since then has been a funds management company :cool:
    Similar principle to buying shares in the bank instead of putting the money in the bank.

Now I have exposure to funds again, but only with one company in which I also have shares :p :D

Rick