Join our investing community

4 Essential Family needs

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jacque, 16th Oct, 2007.

1. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

This SMH article really struck a chord, particularly as I'm the mother of three children and could identify with at least two of the latter needs- fresh food and memorable moments. Thought other parents might like to read it.

2. Dr Lobster

Dr Lobster Well-Known Member

Sheesh, I've been grappling with the private education can of worms lately.

I've got three kids, none have been baptized so that limits the schools they can attend. I was, and went to St Pius in Chatswood (cheapest private school on the nth shore). My kids have not been baptized because I'm not a believer so how could I ?

Dunno how my old man sent three kids to a private school when he was working at state rail as a clerk, that's why he took on a lot of night shift I guess.

Was it worth it, I guess so, never really know for sure. I ended up with a degree and accounting qualification, 1 brother ended up a qualified mechanic working in service and the other as a professional muso for Melb symphoney orchestra. Who knows if it would have been any different had we not gone to a private school.

I know private schools are dammned expensive !!!

And the way I figure it is that because they charge so much they must be able to retain the better teachers the same way a company retains its good employees.

Financially I'd like to be in a position that I could just do it, and the money was a non issue. But at the moment I'm not in that position.

The grappling continues .......

3. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Public schools all the way, baby!

With the price of private schooling, you could provide your kids with a massive share portfolio instead.

Wife and I went to public schools, I guess it depends in the area you live in as to how good they are. I can certainly vouch for the one I went to.

4. islandgirl

islandgirl Well-Known Member

Glebe, I'm all the way with you.

Up until recently I was of the private school mentality and have been regularly putting away money for my son's education. But the more I've been investigating investing techniques the more I question "why don't they teach this stuff in schools!". Then I read Rich Dad Poor Dad and then the Rich Kids book which echoed my thoughts so precisely. I am now of the opinion that whilst private education would be good for my son I am far better off in helping him for the future by teaching him investing techniques and building up a portfolio that he can take over. I would like to do both if I can but if not its my investing education over the private or public system anytime.

5. Cherry Pro

Cherry Pro Active Member

Glebe, agree with you - largely depends on the area you live in and how good the public schools are.

As practising Catholics, when we lived in the South West, our 3 kids went to
    catholic schools but when we moved to Cherrybrook, we were happy with the quality of public education and that's where the kids go.

In saying that, the older two (18 and 15) have already started on their investment portfolios (earnings from their after school work), guess 'home'
    will always be the first teacher.

The eldest starts HSC tomorrow ... 1 down ... 2 more to go !

Cheers

6. Here_To_Learn

Here_To_Learn Well-Known Member

How are you enjoying Cherrybrook ? I really like the place as a suburb and potential PPOR. Particularly the new small shopping centre and Woolies there.

7. Cherry Pro

Cherry Pro Active Member

Moved almost 5 years ago and love it here. In the last couple of months ...
    we have had 3 sets of friends move to Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill and
    WPH from Penshurst, Engadine and Hornsby respectively ... so there
    must be something special about the Hills !

In saying that, Cherrybrook Village can be oh so busy on the weekends !

Cheers

8. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Ssshhhh Cherry!!!! We don't want everyone crowding into our beautiful leafy green suburbs where we lounge about on our 1/4 acre blocks.... :D

I've always been a Hills fan and think it's a great place to live, especially for first home buyers (affordable) and families. Besides the beaches, I think it's one of the best hidden secrets in Sydney, but then I'm biased of course ;)