A look at the wording of the govt guarantee on deposits

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by Godfather, 15th Oct, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Godfather

Godfather Member

Hi everyone,

I'm reading from this link:
    Government Announcements - Guarantee of Wholesale Funding and Deposits

The following sentences:
    "Fees to be charged for the facility
    The Government will charge the issuing ADI a fee for the guarantee. The fee is currently being determined. While the fee will take into account the extremely volatile and uncertain credit markets, it will be set so that it provides a disincentive for institutions to continue using the guarantee once market conditions have normalised."

...Queries:
    1) sentence "The Government will charge the issuing ADI a fee for the guarantee". Does this mean that every bank will be imposed the guarantee at least in the 1st year of the 3 year term?
    2) sentence "it will be set so that it provides a disincentive for institutions to continue using the guarantee once market conditions have normalised". So how can I check which institutions will be covered by guarantee and which ones will not be?

Sorry for being so "italian" and so locked to wording, I probably come from the country that has got the highest number of laws and sublaws in the world but I want more clarity on this... I'm writing an e-mail to the treasury.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: 15th Oct, 2008
  2. jabba_jones

jabba_jones Active Member

I read it as two seperate announcements:

* Guarantee of wholesale funding
    * Guarantee of deposits

The sentences you referred too relate to "debt securities issued by Australian owned banks" not savings accounts.

3. Godfather

Godfather Member

Hi Jabba Jones, well spotted!!! :eek: You're right... I was reading the 1st part... :p