Accountant query

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by aceyuko, 11th Jan, 2011.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. aceyuko

aceyuko Member

Hi all,
    I am tossing up which accountant I should move to now that I am earning a trading income in the US market. my current accountant looks very confused when I talk to him about options & CFds and somewhat negitive on company /trust structure so I think its time to upgrade.

Can anyone recommend through experience either of these 2 firms
    Charts Partners in Brisbane
    or
    Tangeable Assetts in Sydney

Any comments positive or negitive are as always greatly appreciated.

2. Superman__

Superman__ Well-Known Member

I would go with Charts Partners in Brisbane

I have dealt with clients who have previously used Tangible Assets and apparently the level of service didn't stack up with the fees they charged - which is not to say TA didn't provide good advice - it is simply an opinion.

Otherwise look at Sims Crawford Elliott in Highgate Hill / West End - talk to David Elliott.

Hope this helps :)

3. aceyuko

aceyuko Member

Thanks for the opinions Superman.
    TA offers complete financial services including financial advice and morgage services
    Charts offers accounting services only.
    I spoke to a financial advisor and their sevices range upto $10000 which I cant see value in.
    What do you think of FAs are they worth it?

4. Superman__

Superman__ Well-Known Member

Hhmmmm,

"financial advisor" is a relatively broad title. I believe that everyone should go through the financial planning process with a competent and qualified financial planner at least once in their life.

Preferably someone who has followed their own advice and is financially independent (or close to it) as a result.

The obvious thing is that it is extremely difficult to find someone like that.

Based on the information you provided, you need an accountant who can do the following:

- provide advice on the most suitable structure for your trading
    - taxation advice
    - preparation of the relative tax returns

Chart or SCE should be able to do that.

You will only need a financial planner if you want to take some capital and diversify away from your options / CFDs.

I hope this answers your questions.

SM

5. aceyuko

aceyuko Member

Thanks again Superman I think I may be getting caught up in some of the hype.

6. jellybean

jellybean Member

Looking high and low for a Trust/tax accountant

Hi,

I live in a small red dust town in WA. I am looking for an accountant - that's knows not only what a Trust fund (possibly family trust) is but how to structure it. Without charging me an arm and a leg for the first meeting.

Any recommendations for Perth? (need to be able to contact via phone and email too). As I probably can't get to there office.

Thanks.

7. InvestorK33P

InvestorK33P New Member

There is a very good accountant by the name of Elvis Kovacic. I can recommend him as I have utilised him in the past and is very good. Have not heard of the firms you mention. Elvis is a chartered accountant and he is quite good on fees.