Join our investing community

Adsense - selling your credibility for a few clicks

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Insight, 24th Sep, 2006.

1. Insight

Insight Brisbane Buyers Agent

Just a topic for consideration.

I don't generate any money from my blogs (about $20 a year only) so I can't say if that would change my attitude, in fact it probably would if I was earning a lot! Though in that case I would use targeted ads and only resort to google at the very very last resort.

I'm happy to link to Amazon books I endorse but won't be using adsense any more as the content they link to is ... well often shameful, especially in regards to trading/investing.

I believe Larry Flynt when he says that nothing changes morals as fast as large amounts of cash, but... I doubt this site has that dilemma quite yet :)

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Hi AA/Way/Insight/etc :D ... welcome to InvestEd!

I've mentioned this before when the discussion about Adsense came up - in the short term, we are mostly just looking to cover our hosting, software and administrative costs from Adsense, which it is easily doing.

We are currently negotiating with several large (and reputable) organisations for advertising on our site ... something we can start to do now that our traffic has grown to the point where we are worth their effort to advertise with us.

3. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

I was probably one of the biggest moaners about the way AdSense detracts from InvestEd, but the ads become bearable once you put them in your peripheral vision :p - you would certainly only click on one or two before you realised they're as fulfilling as any other ad :) .

I personally would happily continue paying a subscription if it helped replace the need for some of the dodgy adsense content, so its great news traffic might now attract some quality sponsors for the site. Good work ! (and look forward to reading some cool advertising ;) )

4. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Well I use Adblock Plus with Firefox, it really is a great extension.

5. Tizzy

Tizzy Well-Known Member

Thats the first time I realised Adsense was even there !!!:)

6. Davidr

Davidr Active Member

They don't make it through the firewall at work ;) :D

7. TryHard

Thanks for the tip Glebe - the Adblock extension has become one of my favourite add-ons of all time :D

8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

I find that rather ironic that someone who runs online marketing campaigns for their clients would use an ad blocking tool :D :D

9. TryHard

Why ? :p None of our clients' results are affected by ad blockers - we run organic campaigns that don't rely on AdSense at all ;) Blocking ads aimed at ME simply frees up another few minutes a day to spend on core business ;)

However if someone invents a tool which stops people using Google for searching the web, then we're in trouble, but given even Microsoft hasn't managed to put a dent in the "Power of Google", I'm not too worried :p

10. MichaelWhyte

MichaelWhyte Well-Known Member

Ditto!

I haven't seen a single ad on this site yet! Makes browsing a much more enjoyable experience.

Cheers,
    Michael.