Join our investing community

ADSL over Wireless

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by -T-, 20th Jul, 2006.

1. -T-

-T- Well-Known Member

Hi there

I've noticed there are some people on here who know their networking & comms, so I thought I'd give this a try.

Over wireless I get less than half of my broadband speed. I have turned off cordless phones, removed all wireless encryption, put the laptop closer to the access point, but it gets the same speed regardless. It seems to get equal upstream speed to a wired PC, but downloads are slow. I've updated the router drivers and the WLAN drivers, but nothing. Does anyone here have the same problem?

Someone mentioned it sounds like the AP is stuck transmitting at 802.11b standards and that is the cause, but it seems to be connecting to g. Maybe I'll disable b and give it a go.

Anything I'm missing?

TIA :)

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

What speed is your broadband link ? 1500kbps ?

802.11b wireless runs at 11Mbps (for a normal connection), and as low as 1mbps (1000kbps) for a bad connection ... so you would usually expect that it would be your broadband connection that is the bottleneck, not your wireless link.

802.11g wireless runs at 54mbps ... again, far faster than your broadband link ... so it shouldn't be the limitation.

When you say "less than half my broadband speed", do you have any numbers you can give us ? Or is it just gut-feel ?

3. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Interestingly though, the real world speeds of 802.11g is often 20ish mb/s, which is less than ADSL2+ at full force. So conceivably even a .g lan can bottleneck.

This was witnessed in the recent APC magazine lab test that compared about 20 ADSL2+ modems.

FWIW, the Billion 7404VGP was the winner.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Given that A) 99.5% of people in Australia do not yet have access to ADSL2+ speeds, and B) 98% of those people who do have access to ADSL2+ will actually get speeds of no more than 8Mbps, I was assuming that we are referring to a regular ADSL link.

Also adding weight to my claim is that anyone who currently does have access to ADSL2+ is likely to know it and boast about it (by using the term ADSL2+ rather than "broadband" or "ADSL"). :D :D

(Note - statistics are personal estimates only and no evidence is offered to back them up :rolleyes: )

(Note 2 ... my exchange is currently being ADSL2+ enabled, and I'll certainly be letting you know about it when it's complete :p )

5. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I wasn't disagreeing with your advice Sim, just furthering the thread with a factoid.