Join our investing community

Advice on Paint

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Up- Beat, 2nd Jun, 2006.

1. Up- Beat

Up- Beat Member

Hi all,
    doing a reno job at the moment and was wondering if anyone has used a paint called Suede Effects( think that's how you spell it).
    Need to know if it takes a big effort to paint it on as I am not the greatest painter.

Cheers
    Up- Beat

2. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Hi UpBeat
    I've used Suede Effects a couple of times now. The trick is to get the brush movements right so that it resembles that soft suede look. Don't be afraid to practice first in a non-conspicuous area like bottom RH corner of the wall. It's a definite left right diagonal sweeping technique with the brush, and be sure to use a good quality brush as well. Ask at the hardware store as the paint departments are usually pretty helpful here. Don't be tempted to "touch up" either, as those areas stand out when completely dry. Trust me- I had to redo a wall the first time because I kept finding errors!
    Tip before using a brand new brush: Soak it overnight in hot water to remove all the loose bristles. Always annoying to have to pick them out on a new paint job. Even more tricky on a suede effect wall.
    Good luck with it all!:)

3. talbashan

talbashan Well-Known Member

hi upbeat,
    talk to 'porters paints'. they are quite good with those sort of things. their staff are well trained although they can be a tad dearer than the others.
    we used interno limewash in our apartment. not too hard to do but you have to get it right the first time, ie you can't touch it up, its all or nothing.
    its not suede but it gives a very suttle 'suedey' look.
    cheers
    tal

4. Up- Beat

Up- Beat Member

Thanks for the info. I'm going to give it a go!!

cheers Up- Beat