Join our investing community

All Ords Slump.

Discussion in 'The Economy' started by Johny_come_lately, 28th Jan, 2010.

1. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

The All Ords has retreated down to 4670 from a high of 4936. This drop of 5.39 per cent equals the 18th of December 2009 index value. Banks and miners are down.

Johny.

2. Johny_come_lately

The All Ords is now pushing 4500. We need some cheery news to lift spirits.

Johny.

3. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

4. Chris C

Chris C Well-Known Member

lol...

:D

The all ords might be struggling but the LIBOR, TED spread, VIX, sovereign CDS's are all rallying strongly...

... oh wait that's not cheery news.

:p

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"... oh wait that's not cheery news."

Hmmm...what about this...
    Currently downtrend in EUR/USD appears to "have paused for now" :eek: after pair touched 4-year low yesterday.
    But given concerns over euro-zone sovereign debt crisis "wouldn't be surprised to see further falls this week". :p
    Also speculative investors currently hold largest net short EUR position on record. :D

6. Chris C

Meh... so at some point in the not too distant future there will probably be a short squeeze and the perma bulls will think the worst is over, a rally will follow and then rationality will kick back in as investors realise a large number of western government are never going to pay their debts back and the sovereign crisis will continue or the printing presses will be rolled out...

There's lots of craziness in the short run - but in the long run the story still reads the same.

Ultimately it's great for savvy traders, bad for anyone who believes in the sustainability of the western world's economic model...

:D

7. Billv

Billv Getting there

Tropo

It seems that regulation is coming
    Hedge fund regulation : Core Economics
    BBC News - EU to toughen up hedge fund rules

8. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Bill,

More regulations may create more problems...
    Maybe regulators should ban hedge funds all together and permanently ban short selling and even close down stock market! :rolleyes:
    But than...who they are going to blame if they stuff up something again? :eek:

Latest news:
    Hedge funds and large traders dumped assets in Australia and New Zealand on the thought that demand for higher yielding assets and commodities would fall as the Euro Zone issues shut down the global recovery.
    The AUD USD was down sharply, testing levels not seen since September 2009.

Interesting :eek: reading from 2009 is here... Rolling Stone expose: Goldman Sachs behind every market crash since 1920s

9. Billv

Billv Getting there

Tropo

Good you found that one.
    I don't know if you are aware but Golden Sachs helped the Greeks fiddle their books to join the Eurozone and now again those dodgy guys are advisors of the current Greek Government.

How can you trust these guys?
    They'd be selling their mother if they could and then buy her back for less...:eek:

In this instance they are probably responsible for half of the troubles in Europe. They had inside knowledge of the Greek finances and they knew well ahead the position the Greeks and others were going to take on the issue so they could easily pass that info to their mates at wall st so they all make money.

Was this a conspiracy against the Euro which is the only currency which threatened the existance of the US$ as a world currency? I don't know but Golden Sachs are IMO bad news.

Golden Sachs are now the trojan horse in Europe
    and the Greeks and other EU countries who naively use their services should push them out the door quickly before its too late....:eek:

10. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Bill,

Yep I am aware of this.
    I read quite a story about Golden Sucks...I mean Sachs.
    The only way to deal with these guys is to walk them to the vet and put them down. :mad:
    Unfortunately, when big money is at stake, there is no room for mercy. :cool:

11. Johny_come_lately

The All Ords nosedived to below 4200 by 11am, a drop of 3.28%, before recovering to 4326 by days end.

Johny.

12. Billv

Billv Getting there

Dissapointing, I was hoping that it will keep going down...:D
    I need to get back in at some stage but my blue chip resource stocks have gone pale blue and I'm confused as to what they're now worth

13. Johny_come_lately

The All Ords has dropped 123.7 points to 4348.7 on friday's US selloff. This is a fall of 2.77 percent. :eek:

Johny.

14. Vagon

Vagon Well-Known Member

Or it's a jump of 22 points from the close in your last post:

/devilsadvocate

15. Chris C

Markets will probably be bouncing around for at least the next couple of weeks. VIX is still high, TED spread is still trending higher, and there are lot of dominoes that are people are worried about falling.

I imagine their a quite a few policy makers around the world (both monetary and fiscal policy makers) that are now starting to plan round two of stimulus packages given the previous ones seem to have run out of steam and most economies still seem anaemic.

So markets won't really rally again until a new false hope is created.

:rolleyes:

16. fundies

fundies Member

Seems the Europeans are now embracing the Austerity philosophy ( GB and Germans today ).
    Tough times ahead for sure.

17. Billv

Billv Getting there

So what are you buying next?
    I'm looking to buy but I'm very confused...

18. Chris C

Long term plays (5 - 10 years) - Asia, Africa, South/Central America. Particularly markets with low or no debt. Due diligence required.

There will not only be room for nominal growth in these markets, but also currency appreciation as western countries engage in competitive devaluations as well as inflating away unpayable debts.

19. Billv

Billv Getting there

Hmmm
    I don't know about overseas markets, I'm not familiar with them. I'll be adding a few shares to my portfolio and that's it for now

20. Vagon

Vagon Well-Known Member

Yeah I've never liked Government risk in emerging economies, with the exception being maybe Russia and parts of Asia. Too much organised-crime bleeding them dry.

That said there are lots of gains I've probably missed because of it.