Managed Funds Am I missing anything here

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Redwing, 11th Jan, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Hi All

Received our 1/4 Distributions last night from NAVRA

We Purchased $50 k via LOC
    Professional Package Interest Discount
    9 AUGUST 2006

Return:

$1507.95 10 JAN
    $1005.30 16 OCT

Which is not too bad, I expected around $2,500.00 for a six month period so I'm :)

Now I have to decide where to go from here and hopefully apply some leverage, as well as look at some of the other Funds Discussed here by everyone.

Currently we have 4 IP's
    Total Val $1.4M
    Total Loan $640k
    LVR 45.7

Not including the NAVRA Funds/LOC yet above into the Loans (LOC has $100k still sitting there).

I was thinking to look at using the remainder of the $100k LOC as
    50% into Managed Fund and could even Margin another 50% to get $150k total)

As well as purchasing another IP ; 50% Deposit at 80% leverage means a $250k IP (purchase costs could be capitalised).

Assuming 10% return on Funds
    Assume 4% return on IP's
    Assume 1% Costs/Repairs on Total IP Value

Am i missing anything here?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I haven't looked at your numbers in depth, but I'm wondering, why only 4% return on IPs ? That's not yield is it ? What about capital growth ? I would hope you would get closer to 8 - 10% long term total return (including rental income) ? Otherwise, what's the point when you are paying 7-8% interest ?

And do you buy new IPs ? If so, then 1% costs/repairs may be accurate, but for older IPs, I would allow at least 3% of gross rent for repairs and costs (from personal experience).

My suggestion for working out where next is first to work out how much debt you can afford to service based on your expected returns (eg for IP loans - you are likely going to be cashflow negative, so how much extra cashflow do you need to hold an IP worth $X ?) Work out how much you can conservatively expect to receive in returns from other investments such as funds and shares to offset those losses and provide extra income.

3. Redwing

Thanks Sim,

I actually adjusted it to 2.5% after revision this morning.

I haven't allowed for Capital Growth in the calc's just a cashflow scenario at this stage.

....No IP's are not purchased new, three are - and one is +.

Last edited by a moderator: 11th Jan, 2007
  4. Redwing

I work out that before tax refund/depreciation etc it costs me -$270.92 p/wk or -$14,087.88 p/annum to hold the IP's

Average Yield is 7.37% for the IPs (yields are based on curent loan/rent) and assuming costs (additional to loan interest) of 25% of the weekly rent for miscellaneous costs.

Not sure from here how to:

Ideally I'm looking to add to the strategy (if I can call it that, its more stumbling through) by;
    Increasing Yields/Returns
    Increasing Leverage
    Decreasing Risk :)
    Diversify
    Defer or Reduce Tax

At this Stage its Residential IP's, some cash and NAVRA (Managed Fund) though I've thought about;
    Other Managed Funds,
    Direct Shares (growth) or via Installment Warrants,
    Commercial Property Trusts,
    International Managed Funds

5. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what's best cashflow-wise, I haven't really looked at your numbers. However I've noticed that since you only invest in IP's and Navra Aussie fund your portfolio is tied to the success of the Australian economy.

I'd diversify into International managed funds to reduce your risk.