Managed Funds An 'Eve with Steve'

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by 24724, 15th Jul, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

Good afternoon,
    I was in a rather pensive mood a little while ago, thinking about our investment journeys using the services if the Navra group, and realized that we haven't heard from Steve for a long time. He was once quite prolific in his writings, and I enjoyed them, and learned a lot from them, and him.
    I'm sure many others did, too.
    And, for the record, I am aware of the busy schedule he must have as he pursues his tax minimization and U.S. fund initiatives. I also realize that he has to take a step back from his previous involvement in this forum, and particularly, in Somersoft. His health, and other personal issues, must also have taken it's toll on him personally and I, and I know all of you, hope all is well with him.
    Having said all that, wouldn't it be nice to hear from Steve again?
    I don't mean as a regular that he once was....although it would be terrific...but every once in a while drop in to say 'hi', and a short statement on the state of Navra and how things are panning-out. Not all of us are available to attend Steve's seminars, unfortunately.
    Perhaps someone could arrange a night when Steve could make himself available on-line for the evening, and we all could participate in a round-table conversation. Surely, Steve can afford one night, can't he?:)
    A question-and-answer, perhaps?
    Do you think that this is possible, or am I just dreaming?
    I'll even supply the beer if I have to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
    Look forward to your views
    Jayar

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

What you are suggesting is more than possible ... Steve has offered to hold one-off events (of some form) in lieu of the regular contribution that he has not able to achieve recently.

Would love to hear suggestions as to what form this could take.

In the interim - we have some material from one of Steve's seminars earlier this year that we (Nigel and myself) are currently working on reproducing in downloadable audio format. I hope to have this online in the near future.

I also now have a high quality mobile recording "studio" - and I intend to capture a lot more of this kind of material in the future and make it available online - including interviews (not just of Steve) and educational pieces.

In the short term - we have the chatroom available - and it's been on my to-do list to start some regular online chat sessions ... perhaps we could arrange for Steve to be a special guest for one of them ?

We are working on some plans as we speak - so any suggestions you have as to what formats might work, would be appreciated.

3. Davidr__

Davidr__ Member

Maybe a web broadcast, though that would involve technical issues. We could watch / listen to Steve be served over the web.

A previous organisation I was involved in booked a group phone line. We all dialled in and the guest speaker could talk to everyone. When the main information was progressing, the listeners were on mute. Then Q&A opened up and we could ask questions.

Just a thought.

David

4. Rick__

Rick__ Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me. I've never been in a "chatroom" but it sounds like a good way to be introduced to one.

5. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

How about a podcast?

People can submit questions and Steve could do an audio discussing them that we can download and listen to whilst walking the dog ...

6. Simon Hampel

This is one of the easiest ways to produce this kind of thing (easier than organising a face-to-face seminar or round-table etc), so is the most likely.

We are already planning to do podcasts as you described - how long it takes will depend on when we can get some of Steve's time and on how long it it will take to process the resulting audio into something usable on the web.

We would still like other suggestions - there might be another format that works well that we can incorporate too.

7. Davidr__

Davidr__ Member

Were my suggestions reviewed and discarded? I missed the response on the thread ;)

David

8. Simon Hampel

No Davidr, we are considering all possibilities :p

We will be doing podcasts, but that only really covers the delivery mechanism - not the mechanism used to capture the information in the first place.

An audio conference is certainly a good way to do something like this, we use this all the time at work - but I'm not sure it's the best for what we are trying to achieve. Not discarding it though - just needs a bit more thought (especially in regards to logistics and cost).

9. Davidr__

Davidr__ Member

Thanks for the response. Thought I'd gone on invisible mode :D

David.

10. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

No one here is invisible on InvestEd, David- especially those with cute little avatars like yours :)

I know that Steve won't be available for at least the next 2 mths for an "eve", as he is away on an extended trip which is long overdue. Mind you, I'm sure one of us can chase him and perhaps tie him to a chair upon his return for a recording or similar event!!! ;) :D

Last edited by a moderator: 26th Jul, 2006
  11. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

Jacque,
    It's been over 4 months since Steve's last post here....now add another 2.....that's 6 months absence from a forum he initiated.
    No input, whatsoever, in that time.
    My investment in NavraInvest is quite large, and I am a shareholder in the Company.
    I am well aware of his personal/health/business pursuits.
    But I don't think this is good enough.
    Jayar

12. Simon Hampel

Perhaps you should express that directly to Steve, Jayar ?

I think Steve's clients and investors should be communicating their interests, desires, and expectations to him directly - make it perfectly clear what you would like to see from him.

Steve is extremely busy with his various business interests - and if people (clients and investors !!) were to explain to Steve what they would like him to be putting time into, then he might be persuaded to reprioritise things a bit.

13. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

'Evening, Sim,
    Tried to PM Steve months ago on another matter, but to no avail.
    Must have been too busy to reply. :rolleyes:
    Jayar

14. Simon Hampel

I would think that a PM is probably not the best way to contact Steve given his infrequent visits here. I suggest you phone him directly - or you could try email perhaps.

15. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

Sim,
    Yeah, valid point.
    I did, however, ask one of his employees to contact him on my behalf and pass the message on, but still no response.
    Years ago, contact was quite simple....you'd ask a question, and a reply from Steve would follow.
    Don't like to bother the man with phone calls, though, he's so busy. Might try the e-mail.
    Jayar

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Jul, 2006
  16. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

The audio Files that can be saved sounds like a GREAT !! idea..to listen to whenever you want..

Looking forward to Steve's

I've been searching via google for any interesting Audio to download in reference to Australian Real Estate and General Investing..I then usually listen to it whilst driving between jobs

On that note does anyone know of any sites with this type of Audio Files available?

Redwing

17. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

I've had the same experience as you Jayar. Email to Steve expressing some questions and concerns remained unanswered.

Like you, I don't feel I should bother him by phone considering we are constantly reminded how busy he is. I am sure by now though, Steve would be able to see a common theme in any communications he is receiving and maybe post a once-a-month update, again even if it is via one of his staff or the InvestEd team.

As a shareholder, unitholder and participant on this forum all due to Steve's prompting, I think its reasonable to expect some more regular appearance / communication. Shame that seems never likely to happen easily.

UPDATE ... :p - well I may just eat my words now - I see Steve is back with a post - http://www.invested.com.au/forums/2/planning-investment-success-316/ welcome back Steve :D

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Aug, 2006
  18. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Don't know how likely it would be to happen, but a Steve Navra financial news a'la www.rocketboom.com would be cool. Technically pretty easy to produce, even with a webcam and something like VLogIt software or the many alternatives.

Let's keep pushing that technical envelope ;-)

19. Smartypants

Smartypants Well-Known Member

The above thread you are talking about is an old one that has just been resurfaced.

20. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Just *clicked* on Rocketboom..what the heck is that all about apart from some foxy chick rabbiting on?

RedWing:confused:

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice