Join our investing community

An Inconvenient Truth etc

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alan, 16th Oct, 2006.

1. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

I finally got around to seeing the movie and it certainly gives you a good shake. It's one of those movies that I think everyone should see.

To be honest, with a hundred things to do each day I hadn't given some of these issues the attention they deserve.

Having watched the movie I came home and noted from my last Quarterly Electricity Bill that the amount of Greenhouse gas emitted to produce my electricity for three months was 3259.9kg of CO2! :eek:

I've now changed all our lights to compact fluorescents and paid the bit extra for the 'Green Electricity'. In addition I've quickly emailed my local members and reminded them that this issue will influence my vote!

I know in the scheme of things it's only a couple of small things to start with but when my kids ask me one day did we make any changes to help reduce the problem I'd rather not just shrug my shoulders.

Good movie.........worth a look.

2. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

I have also tried to make some small changes. I know that my changing of light bulbs is negligible but I hope that everyone else does it too and this should help.

Besides these things last forever - I reckon incandescent ones should be made more expensive to subsidise the flouro ones and make buying the right one a decision not affected by cost!

We also try to save water even though we aren't drought affected.

I hate the amount of packaging I throw out after my weekly shop. Not just rubbish bags but all the extra stuff. Even my toothpaste comes in a tube and is then packed in a box. How important is this? A tamper evident lid should be enough to deliver it to the shops in!

There are so many small changes we can make.

When I was a kid we had a small garbage can which went out weekly.

We now have two huge bins that you couldn't even carry if full. Weekly too.

Admitedly we all had incinerators back then .....

3. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Ah yes that takes me back! I recall we had one at our primary school which the older girls (Yrs 5 and 6) had the pleasure of tending to on a weekly basis... Our pinafores often had telltale ash stains on them from the effort required in loading and burning.

My grandparents also had an old drum out the back of their place which had regular fires going to dispose of rubbish, garden scraps etc. Then again, there were no recycling bins back then either.

4. hiflo

hiflo Well-Known Member

I've been trying to be conscious of it for a long time.

- Reusing plastic bags and always carrying my own bag.

- Try not to use too much wrapping, but I have to admit that it looks cheap and I do not like it.

- Changing to fluorescent light bulbs

- Not buying things unless I really want and need it. Think about how long I am going to use it before buying. If more than 5 years buy, if less don't buy apart from food that is.

- Not leaving food behind my plate (have been doing this for over 10 years and other people think it's stupid. But afterall, don't buy more than what you are capable of eating which means less production, uses less detergent because the dishes are cleaner. Sometimes for bowls I put water/tea and clean it with piece of radish etc. A practice I picked up in a Japanese temple where all the monks do this!!)

- getting up early and use the daylight as much as I can. This way I go to bed early (10ish) and get up (5-6ish). Trying to get up around 4am but fail miserably because I cannot usually finish things before 9pm.

- taking a bath with 1/3 filled tub and even washing hair with it. It only takes less than 2 mins to fill but it takes me at least 6-8min to take shower. Sometimes taking Japanese style baths and use the water to water the garden or to use it to wash mops to clean the rooms. And when I take a fully filled bath once in a while it's feel luxurious and I feel that I have lots of money to be wasteful like that.