anecdotal evidence of property values flattening out?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by arandomperson, 20th Mar, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. arandomperson

arandomperson Member

I've been hunting around for a PPOR purchase for some time in Melbourne, and maybe it's just wishful thinking on my behalf but I think prices are flattening out if not dropping slightly, at least for the sector of the market I am looking at (units in outer south east). But I could be overfocussed on a too small a sample of properties to be getting an accurate picture. Anyone else noticing this (or the contrary)?

2. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

Could well be the case.

Have heard a report from a seller of a luxury prop in Briz that the market has really cooled, guess that's tied to the stock market to some extent.

I will be watching the data trickle in over the next month or so very closely.

3. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I get emails from domain.com.au when they fit my criteria, even though I'm not looking :cool:

Aaanyway, I'm seeing more properties come up for sale over the last couple of months than anytime in the last six months. I don't know what this means really. I think they're priced the same as they would have been priced a year back, it's just that there's more hitting the market now..

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this..

4. shake-the-disease

shake-the-disease Well-Known Member

Talking to an agent (not a johnny-come-lately) the other day, he estimates inner east Melb is down 5-10% this year.

5. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

6. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

7. arandomperson

arandomperson Member

yeah, I've seen the 11K drop article and the 40% increase in 5 year article..
    I am quite sure they are dropping in some parts of Melbourne from my observations (just saw another very nice unit get passed in at auction in Dandenong yesterday).. but they may rise over time given the rental demands right now.

8. tpc3126

tpc3126 New Member

Median price has dropped 11,000. Never seen the point of using median as a strong indicator. Mean would be more accurate as long as the outliers were eliminated no?
    Prices dropping, opportunity knocks...