Another FY over...and what have you done

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Nigel Ward, 29th Jun, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Well we're practically there for end of the 06-07 financial year.

Was it a good one for you? Did you meet or exceed your goals? What will you do more of or do differently next year?

For me it's been a good one on the numbers but some goals were not achieved...oh well back to the drawing board...

I guess it's important to enjoy the journey too...

Cheers
    N.

2. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Property - a little bit of upside in the last few months.

Managed Funds - Nice year thanks to Navra and Platinum Asia.

Share / CFD trading - finished the year very close to where we began - but learnt a lot of lessons along the way :rolleyes: - but I think this will set us up to be smarter for the next 12 months :)

3. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Property went backwards. Had to get some valuations done which came back less than I expected. No real worry as was not planning to sell so time will fix

Managed funds same returns as the previous year. Another overseas holiday if I tell the wife;) so I won't. The Maq fund will be resolved within the next 2 months but this was nuetral in any case.

Share trading I haven't done to bad in dollar terms but fairly ordinary in % terms, about 12%.

I am sitting on a lot of cash at the moment with no real investment in sight. This I am finding very frustrating but need to keep under control just to make sure I don't make the wrong decision.

Cheers

4. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

Property - my part of the market was too pricey to buy more and I had a few people move on.

Managed funds - Held one and added one.

Shares - Ramped things up this year, maybe a little too hard in the last month. Made a long held aim with NAB shares and said farewell to an old friend in PMN. Need a reasonable rise in prices or a sale of a few before I can go buying again, future fund and pressure of super may fix that quickly.

Personal - Parted ways with some long term friends and made a new one. Will have to deal with my Mothers failing health next month.

5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Increased PAYE income, picked up an additional work related qualification (looking for one this FY as well)

Purchased another IP (took a trip to BrisVegas and purchased; ran into Rixter and JoeD)

Perth IP's still added value and rents increased

Set up a SMSF

Had a new addition to the Family (another beautiful baby girl; so now one boy and two girls).

Increased my knowledge Base and hung around people a lot smarter than me (forums mainly ;) )

Made some Investing Contacts and Friends

Added some kilo's to my waistline (hmmm...new FY goal, get back to gym or increase activity)

Last edited by a moderator: 30th Jun, 2007
  6. Rod_WA

Rod_WA Well-Known Member

(great thread by the way)
    Had a really good year, but day job is wearing me out. Unfortunately they still pay me and this lets me do the stuff I love.
    Perth IP continued to go bananas, freeing up a bit more cash through equity. Some shrewd share picks served me well (GTP after they got crunched, up 40% in 4 months since I bought them; trebled my WES in March at $34.94 (up $15k in 3 months!); have been big on BHP and RIO for three years now; just try and stop the banks; and AGO up 140% in a year).
    Opted to dump a 'tax-loss sellee' today, SIP, down about 12% since I bought them. But still a believer in the ageing population, so I actually bought in again a few minutes later at twice the exposure! (a bargain at $2.09!). Doubly happy, saving about $450 in CGT and picking up a bargain.

Happy new financial year (and spare a thought for the Coles board, who are about to sell to Wesfarmers for a song.)

7. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

Property -

very jealous when reading stories in property magazines/forums about people whose IP's have continued to have exceptional growth :(

revalued all our properties (PPOR+3 IPs), two went down, two went up.Overall increase though and this plus refinancing using WBC's new 85% LVR loan (with no mortgage insurance) allowed us to unlock enough equity to be in a position to buy another IP Just not sure where, most probably Sydney

Managed Funds

mostly invested in NI - still very happy with the returns
    2 Mac funds - redeemed one this month which should break even given the refund I got when investing using Investsmart, the other one looks like earning me 3-4% net, whoa :)

Shares

Dabbled using my SMSF and Alan Hull's strategy, not very successfull due in part to small amount to invest meaning cost of trades reduced gains.
    Had one success , PTM, made a few grand on that first day - that's never happended to me before

Overall I feel I haven't done enough over the last year (well actually over the last few years). Need to get out there in the next 12 months and start getting the investment vehicle moving again

8. vandalic

vandalic Active Member

Investing
    - Shares crept a little higher
    - Setup a margin loan ready to bring some good debt into my share portfolio
    - Continue the hunt for first investment property

Work
    - Promoted and changed companies since this time last year

Personal
    - Traveled around Europe (Austria, Germany, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Italy, France), Ireland (Dublin) and Britain (London) with the missus.
    - Reduced my work focus to focus on life and what matters
    - Outsourced my ironing

Goals for 2007-08
    - Outsource all house domestic services
    - Buy first IP
    - Buy shares with margin loan
    - Continue enjoying life!
    - Skiing holiday to New Zealand or Victoria

9. hillsguy

hillsguy Well-Known Member

Work
    Went from FT to Contract work for first time and earnt lots of $$$'s.
    Contract ended :( and back to FT role in new company :eek:
    Enjoying challenges and work/ life balance

Investing
    Revalued 3 IP's and poored extra equity + ML into Navra Fund
    Re-invested majority of dividends back into Navra Fund each quarter
    Happy that Navra had a GREAT year :D :D :D
    Learnt and continue to learn lots via folks here (THANK YOU) and other like minded people

Goals for next FY
    Purchase PPOR in Sydney we like and can afford :eek:
    Re-invest equity of PPOR into Navra Fund
    Purchase IP#4
    Celebrate 10 YR wedding anniversary :)
    Vacation at Hamilton Island :)
    Ensure we remain on track to reach Financial Independance

10. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Nigel it's a shame you didn't meet all your goals this year. I find meeting goals easy, the trick is set them low :D

Nah, for me it was a good year financially. My spreadsheet tells me our net worth is up about 35% on last year. That's starting from a lower base than most of you though.

We bought our future PPOR this year too, and had the pleasure of paying the State Government about $35k in stamp duty for the privilege.

A few more of these years and things will be looking pretty sweet...

11. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

done:
    got married
    paid off one consumer loan

to do:
    pay off 8k of bike loan, 2k of credit card, 2k of overdraft hopefully by December/January
    buy a split heating system for the unit (brrr cold in Hobart in Winter) (will also dry the air to stop condensation eating the window surounds when this unit becomes a rental)

Last half off next finacial year will be putting between 1200-2400 a month into managed funds (wife contributing approx 1k?) (considered putting it on mortgage but we are only allowed to put 10k extra on it year because of a fixed loan)

next year sometime... we might create a child.

12. Bantam Roosta

Bantam Roosta Well-Known Member

Property: Nowhere. Still holding one. With one reliable income, a baby and more to come, won't be looking for a least a year, probably 2 or 3.

Shares: Increased holding by ~22k, taking total portfolio to ~80k at ~45%. Won't increase any more unless there is a big correction.

Net worth: Increased by ~120%. Not hard if you knew what my base was. :eek:

Personal: Baby, as above.

Plan 07/08: Enjoy myself more. I'm not rich by any means, but you would think I lived in a dumpster if you heard me talk. I'm not seriously looking at expanding my portfolio much, so will be using any excess spare cash to buy a few nice things, hopefully (it's a nice thought, but I know I'm too tight to spend anything).

BR

13. Tizzy

Tizzy Well-Known Member

Two builds FINALLY started :) with barely weeks to go before the FY closes.

One subdivision still waiting waiting waiting for rezoning and titles {sigh} but good CG all the same.

PPOR looks a tad neglected though and could do with a spuce up so might do some reno on it this year thats more dash than cash.

All in all, the best year we've had for IP's ever.

14. islandgirl__

islandgirl__ Well-Known Member

Work: Got a nice salary increase and negotiated to work 1 day a week at least from home

Property: Purchased my first IP

Funds: Finally invested in 3 funds in one trust and 2 funds in another. Happy with the income they should return in the first qtr.

Next Year:
    Work: Aiming to work at least 2 days a week from home
    Property/Funds: Keep the ball rolling and once the cashflow has settled buy at least another 1 property, hopefully 2

15. MattR

MattR Well-Known Member

Work
    Grew my business (turnover) almost to my target - quite happy with that considering I had quite a disruptive end to last calender year.

Super
    Happy with growth on current investment platform. Continued reaserch on a particular investment setup.

Personal Investments
    More work to be done.

16. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Wow, by far the best year so far from a financial perspective!

Retirement

One down one to go!

Kay retired this year as our cash flow has improved to the point that we only need my salaried income on top of our passive income and not hers. She can now devote her time to yoga / pilates and having fun with our two-year old boy Aden. I'm looking forward to joining her in the recently retired ranks in about 5 years time. Retirement by the age of 40 would be great!!

Shares

Very nice cash flow positive profit. Extended my holdings by stretching my margin loan and am really happy with current performance. the coming distribution will almost pay off my PPOR. Its valued at $850K and I now owe only $25K on it. One more should see me across the line and be non-deductible debt free.

Property

Bought my first serious IP in Mona Vale. Plans into council to turn it into two units and a townhouse. Total cost circa $1.8M but projected gross realisation of circa $2.5M. This will be my major focus for next FY and probably the one after.

Work

Got made redundant and got a new job on a nice salary increase. Loving the new workplace and people and the extra income is really nice from a servicability perspective. As mentioned in the first heading above, can't see this being a priority though beyond the next five years, but might stick around if I enjoy it just for the social aspect and the mental stimulation, but looking forward to having the choice to quit.

Can't believe we've come so far so quickly. We started investing just a few years back with the purchase of our PPOR in 2002 and have grown our net worth to well over $1M since then and will probably break the $2M mark when we get Mona Vale finished.

Onwards and upwards! :D

Cheers,
    Michael.

17. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

HaHaHa - I like it. It's a bit like what I wrote on a junior lawyer's performance reviews this year..."X continues to set ever lower levels of performance for herself and never fails to reach those new lows". :rolleyes: :p

As I said though, purely on the numbers it was not a bad result as net worth increased by 40%...just not as good as I'd wanted...

N.

18. Ems

Ems Well-Known Member

Well my progress is no where near as good as some of you guys but here goes.

Property

Brought our PPOR in SEQ in November 06 for $440k. Was offered $600k for it last month and it's still in construction. Signed contracts for a house and land package last week for our first IP. Again in SEQ.

Shares
    Went backwards with these as we had to sell our Woolworths shares to fund our deposit on our PPOR. Jeez that was hard to do.

Managed Funds
    Reading and researching various funds to get a start this coming month (hopefully)

Personal
    Got Married!!!!
    Was my best achievement by far this year and maybe a new addition next year (just don't tell the hubby) Come to think about it - maybe the year after.

Well that's it for this year. Looking forward to the next.

Ems

19. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

Mate this is very inspiring! Very interesting how it doesnt take a lot of time if you find yourself a good plan and are consistent with it. Well done!

20. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna point out financial goals achievements other than to say that I exceeded my expectations by a very long way. In a mindset way, the biggest lesson I learnt was to 'keep the eyes on the prize'. By that I mean I learned to keep focus on my particular strategy and not get distracted by the endless amounts of noise that keep popping up everywhere. It's because of this I believe that my achievements far exceeded what I thought they would.

Mark