Join our investing community

Anyone been doing reno's over the last couple of years?

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Steve, 16th May, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone has been doing renovations with the idea of selling after a short period of time in Sydney or Melbourne? Given the flat market in these cities over the last few years, I am interested to hear if this strategy has continued to be successful for anyone.

I have certainly seen an increase in buyer activity in many areas of Sydney lately (and I believe Melbourne as well) and an increase in auction clearance rates. I feel the time is right for me to start entering the market again.:)

Steve

2. Pablo

Pablo New Member

Steve,

I have never done a reno so this is just my thinking but why wouldn't renovations be as profitable in a flat market as they would be in a rising market. Sure they may take an extra three or so weeks to sell but you would be able to negotiate a better deal when you purchased with a lower price and better terms.

Don't forget that while you may get higher profits from a reno in a rising market a % of these profits would have been made even if you had done nothing to the IP.

Just for the record I heard a guy speak a couple days ago who started his property investing right at the peak of the boom in Adelaide and has been doing 1 or 2 a month ever since and making bucket loads of money (his term).

Cheers Pablo.